2010 21-30 prospects

Tony-OH

Tim Berry...has a decent curveball that projects well and is very projectable....

Is there a difference between a pitch "that projects well" and one that "is very projectable?". What do these terms mean, and how does one "project" a curve ball or what makes it "projectable?"

I think he means both the curveball and Tim Berry are very projectionable. Tim Berry is a tall, skinny kid. The feeling is that some of those types will gain velocity and sharpen their stuff as they fill out and gain strength in their frame. I'm just guessing on the curve being projectionable but I think he means that he's flashing (once in a while) a sharp breakin curve but not being very consistent with it. It could also be that it has a lot of break but it's more of a slow breaking pitch than a real sharp one. I'm not sure on that one.

I've seen some video of Berry and on that day he had no command of the pitch and it was loopy. He is however a fairly projectable guy because of his frame so he's certainly a guy to watch.

Is there a difference between a pitch "that projects well" and one that "is very projectable?". What do these terms mean, and how does one "project" a curve ball or what makes it "projectable?"

Nah, what I was referring to as RZ stated basically that Berry has physical projection, but also his curveball flashes good bite and spin from time to time. It is a bit loopy, but if he can tighten it up a bit, it looks like it could be pretty good. Thats an example of a pitch having projection. Its a lot easier to tell when being in person so you can see the type of spin the pitcher gets, but from internet videos I have seen, it appears Berry just needs to tighten his curve up some and gain some consistency......

I was always told "projects well" tends to indicate there is possible growth to come and you have good reason to believe that growth will occur. Projectable should mean the same thing, but a lot of people just slap the word on any one that is tall and skinny.

Curveball you project based on spin. A pitcher will never be able to tighten or improve the pitch if he doesn't have the ability to get the adequate spin velocity. This is generally an armspeed issue, where shape/command/bite can be both armspeed and release/slot issues.

9. Cameron Coffey

10. Brandon Waring

13. Pedro Florimon

17. Steve Johnson

20. Luis Lebron

24. Randy Henry

25. Michael Ohlman

27. Jake Cowen

28. Ashur Tolliver

30. Vito Frabizio

Another piece of evidence that it makes no sense to leave Florimon on the 40 man roster while exposing Ryan Adams to the rule V draft...

Another piece of evidence that it makes no sense to leave Florimon on the 40 man roster while exposing Ryan Adams to the rule V draft...

I don't know why this obsession keeps appearing all over the board.

Florimon is probably the first or second to come off the 40 man roster should they need more spaces. Ryan Adams would be in a similar position would he be on the roster.

EDIT: Not adding Adams was a separate move then taking Florimon off. Obviously there were openings for whoever, but the Orioles didn't deem it necessary to add him.

EDIT: Not adding Adams was a separate move then taking Florimon off. Obviously there were openings for whoever, but the Orioles didn't deem it necessary to add him.

They are not separate moves. The O's left spaces on the roster because they think they are going to add people. That means that the opportunity cost of keeping Florimon on the list is that someone else had to be left off.

They are not separate moves. The O's left spaces on the roster because they think they are going to add people. That means that the opportunity cost of keeping Florimon on the list is that someone else had to be left off.

I'm not sure why so many people keep missing the point but I'll say it again,

"There is a better chance of someone taking a guy like Florimon when he's passed through waivers while he has options left than taking a guy like Adams and having to keep him on the 25-man roster. Florimon would only have to stay on the 40-man, but could be sent to the minors."

It's a risk assessment situation if you ask me. Neither player is worth getting too concerned over, but it's doubtful with Adam's skill set that a team is going to be willing to give him a 25-man roster spot all season. Pelzer, Egan and Beato have the best chance of being taken and kept as a 12th pitcher before Adams IMHO.

Archived