First base in 2012 and beyond

JTrea81

How many playoff teams that had multiple appearances in consecutive years have had a different 1st baseman manning the position each time they went to the playoffs?

Every team that has a multiple year playoff run in recent memory has had stablity at the 1B position.

Each time the Orioles have been in the playoffs, they've had a 1st baseman that has manned the position for them for multiple years.

Boog Powell, Eddie Murray and Rafael Palmeiro.

Consistency at 1B has been a constant of winning Orioles teams.

How much consistency was there at the the other positions?

Didn't the Yankees throw out Mark Teixeira, Jason Giambi, Doug M., Andy Phillips, and Tino Martinez as their everyday 1B over the last 6 years?

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How many playoff teams that had multiple appearances in consecutive years have had a different 1st baseman manning the position each time they went to the playoffs?

Every team that has a multiple year playoff run in recent memory has had stablity at the 1B position.

Each time the Orioles have been in the playoffs, they've had a 1st baseman that has manned the position for them for multiple years.

Last year's WS teams sported A. Huff and M. Moreland. Not exactly Pujols and big Papi.

This has to be one of the most ridiculous and cherry picked arguments I have ever seen.

So, if those teams changed second baseman every year, that would mean the key to success is to have a new second baseman every season?

Well, looking at the 1B production of the last 5 years is pretty awful:

Millar: .811 (2006), .785 (2007), .717 (2008), Huff: .725 (2009), Wigginton: .727 (2010)

I agree with you in the sense that 1B is a position where offense shouldn't be too hard to come by. Why this team of ours continues to send players like Huff, Millar and Wigginton (who had more than 3x as many games at 1B as Atkins) out at the position boggles my mind, but that doesn't mean that 1B has to be your absolute best player. That's just ridiculous. On the '71 Team, Boog was only the 3rd best player by OPS+ and one of 7 regulars on the team with an OPS+ north of 114. He was the best on the '70 team, but that team had 7 regulars with an OPS+ north of 107. Boog was second best on the '69 team to Frobby but that team had 5 regulars with and OPS+ over 107.

On the '79 Team, Eddie was only the 3rd best in OPS+, though he did lead the team in '83, though Cal was right behind him.

The fact of the matter is: you need a balanced team to win. In this division, it's a necessity. A good 1Bman would be great, but without all the other moving parts, it simply won't do any good. I'd much rather build toward a solid contender than a one-off all-in gamble.

I kind of agree with Trea on this subject...

Trea's heart is in the right place, but making a poor arguement.

It would be nice to sign Fielder next year, but we can't bank on it.

I personally am sick and tired of stopgags. I want a long term guy at 1B, not 1-year rentals for the next 10 years.

A balanced, disciplined lineup is much more important than a "premium", power hitting 1st baseman.
This is what people are missing. A team with a .330 or better OBP at every position would be the team to beat. We don't need no stinkin' Fielders. :laughlol:(note to Scottie: I am making an allusion to the famous line of the Mexican Banditto in the classic John Houston film,THE TREASURE OF SIERRA MADRE, and am in no way suggesting that Prince Fielder suffers from BO)

Well, looking at the 1B production of the last 5 years is pretty awful:

Millar: .811 (2006), .785 (2007), .717 (2008), Huff: .725 (2009), Wigginton: .727 (2010)

I agree with you in the sense that 1B is a position where offense shouldn't be too hard to come by. Why this team of ours continues to send players like Huff, Millar and Wigginton (who had more than 3x as many games at 1B as Atkins) out at the position boggles my mind, but that doesn't mean that 1B has to be your absolute best player. That's just ridiculous. On the '71 Team, Boog was only the 3rd best player by OPS+ and one of 7 regulars on the team with an OPS+ north of 114. He was the best on the '70 team, but that team had 7 regulars with an OPS+ north of 107. Boog was second best on the '69 team to Frobby but that team had 5 regulars with and OPS+ over 107.

On the '79 Team, Eddie was only the 3rd best in OPS+, though he did lead the team in '83, though Cal was right behind him.

The fact of the matter is: you need a balanced team to win. In this division, it's a necessity. A good 1Bman would be great, but without all the other moving parts, it simply won't do any good. I'd much rather build toward a solid contender than a one-off all-in gamble.

You've got to look at where your holes are long term right now. And they are at 1B, 3B, LF and SS.

The Orioles have questions marks in CF, RF and C and a declining player at 2B but we are committed to all of those players as LT options at their positions.

DH is about the only position that we think we have a solid producer.

So with that many question marks going forward it is crucial to get constant production from at least 2 if not 3 of those positions where we have holes.

1B is the easiest place to find this production followed by LF and then 3B, with SS being the hardest place to find it.

You can say the Orioles need balance, but right now they need constant production, and they don't have it from anybody really in their lineup except for maybe the DH spot. So they need to acquire those premium players because you know they are going to produce when other parts of your lineup may not. As I said 1B is typically the easiest place to find the majority of that production so it makes sense to get a LT option that will produce consistently there.

You've got to look at where your holes are long term right now. And they are at 1B, 3B, LF and SS.

The Orioles have questions marks in CF, RF and C and a declining player at 2B but we are committed to all of those players as LT options at their positions.

So with that many question marks going forward it is crucial to get constant production from at least 2 if not 3 of those positions where we have holes.

1B is the easiest place to find this production followed by LF and then 3B, with SS being the hardest place to find it.

You can say the Orioles need balance, but right now they need constant production, and they don't have it from anybody really in their lineup except for maybe the DH spot. So they need to acquire those premium players because you know they are going to produce when other parts of your lineup may not. As I said 1B is typically the easiest place to find the majority of that production so it makes sense to get a LT option that will produce consistently there.

You and OldFan are really the only people to ever say RF is a question mark.

You and OldFan are really the only people to ever say RF is a question mark.

Look at Markakis' numbers. How can you not say he's a question mark? The production took a major drop last season.

Is he going to produce the same, or is he going to be that 20-25 HR, .875+ OPS player moving forward that he was a few years ago. You simply have no idea right now...

I think the majority of Major League GM's would gladly take them off our hands if given the chance.

I think the majority of Major League GM's would gladly take them off our hands if given the chance.

You overrate our younger players. They have potential this is true, but we have no idea if they are going to reach it fully or not.

Roberts is declining, nobody should question that. Markakis however could still rebound, but until he does, he can't be looked at as that .875+ 20-25 HR guy but rather a 15-20 HR, .825 OPS guy. Still valuable, but not the premium player we thought he was.

Which is why we need a major offensive upgrade moving foward, so these players don't have to carry the load of the offense like they had to in seasons past. They basically have to reach their potential for us to make the playoffs, so we have to surround them with the talent to help get them there.

You overrate our younger players. They have potential this is true, but we have no idea if they are going to reach it fully or not.

Roberts is declining, nobody should question that. Markakis however could still rebound, but until he does, he can't be looked at as that .875+ 20-25 HR guy but rather a 15-20 HR, .825 OPS guy. Still valuable, but not the premium player we thought he was.

And you grossly underestimate them. Remember, all players were young with potential at some point. The difference between you and other people is you want to spend oodles of other peoples money and trade away the future. That is simply, a terrible, terrible plan.

Think of how much you could accomplish if you took the time you spend obsessing about things that ultimately are of little importance on this website and used it to do something constructive.

:slytf:

That's why I took a 2 month break. But they sucked me right back in, lol.

Archived