First base in 2012 and beyond

JTrea81

We've seen that the majority of posters on here want to sign another player as a 1 year stopgap option for 1B during 2011. But who do you think they are a stopgap for?

Currently the FAs for 1B after 2011 will be the following:

Albert Pujols

Adrian Gonzalez

Prince Fielder

Ross Gload

Michael Cuddyer

The Orioles aren't signing Pujols. I think we can agree on that. Adrian Gonzalez is going to be a member of the Red Sox one way or another and might not even make this list as he could be traded and extended at the 2011 deadline.

So that leaves Prince Fielder as the only option for the Orioles other than Ross Gload or Michael Cuddyer.

For internal options the Orioles have just about nobody that can be depended on to be a difference making option at the ML level for them in the minors.

Brandon Snyder is no longer a prospect, and will need to have a monster season to avoid becoming an organizational player

Joe Mahoney is a 24 year old in AA that doesn't seem to be very well liked by scouts.

Tyler Townsend can't stay on the field long enough to produce.

So there you have the situation. It seems it is likely Prince Fielder or bust for the Orioles after 2011 unless MacPhail or his replacement comes up with a major trade IMO.

But what do you think? Who do you see manning 1B for the Orioles in 2012 and beyond?

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So many things can happen between now and 2012. Maybe they draft a fast mover. Maybe they deal for a young first baseman. Maybe they find the next Ortiz/Pena off the waiver wire.

Not to mention, the Orioles may sign a guy like DLee or LaRoche to a 2 year deal, so 2013 is the year you really should be looking at.

The Orioles aren't signing Pujols. I think we can agree on that. Adrian Gonzalez is going to be a member of the Red Sox one way or another and might not even make this list as he could be traded and extended at the 2011 deadline.

So that leaves Prince Fielder as the only option for the Orioles other than Ross Gload or Michael Cuddyer.

For internal options the Orioles have just about nobody that can be depended on to be a difference making option at the ML level for them in the minors.

Brandon Snyder is no longer a prospect, and will need to have a monster season to avoid becoming an organizational player

Joe Mahoney is a 25 year old in AA that doesn't seem to be very well liked by scouts.

Tyler Townsend can't stay on the field long enough to produce.

So there you have the situation. It seems it is likely Prince Fielder or bust for the Orioles after 2011 unless MacPhail comes up with a major trade IMO.

But what do you think? Who do you see manning 1B for the Orioles in 2012 and beyond?

To rule out Gonzalez, but keep Fielder, no matter how much you believe that he will be a Red Sox, is a poor argument.

To call Snyder a non-prospect is poor as well. He may not have much stock left, but he still could turn into something. Also, Mahoney didn't even go to the AFL. He had a very strong season at A+ and slowed down at AA, but he will be 24 next season, not 25.

You make a very poor argument to declare "Fielder or bust."

No way I trade anything for Prince Fielder.

I would, however, sign him to a 4-year, 88 million dollar deal next offseason.

I don't think he's going to get a 7-year deal from anyone, unless he comes into this season having lost some weight and has a monster season. I think I would beat any team's offer on a 4-year deal, though.

No way I trade anything for Prince Fielder.

I would, however, sign him to a 4-year, 88 million dollar deal next offseason.

I don't think he's going to get a 7-year deal from anyone, unless he comes into this season having lost some weight and has a monster season. I think I would beat any team's offer on a 4-year deal, though.

Fielder is likely going to get a 6/150-7/175 contract. Power is at a premium nowadays and teams like the White Sox and Rangers won't be afraid to take that risk.

If Howard got 5/125 - Prince is getting at least that if not more.

I threw out Justin Morneau's name a while ago, and the Twins slugger doesn't seem too happy with Target Field.

Morneau is locked up until after 2013 and could be traded before the 2012 season if he's still disgruntled with the confines given the small amount of time left on his contract, and his age.

Why do we have to have a long term solution at first base?

Because eventually if you don't you will be running out of good options to sign short-term.

Free agency is getting worse not better, and the 1 year players are going to be start being more like Ross Gload.

Because eventually if you don't you will be running out of good options to sign short-term.

Free agency is getting worse not better, and the 1 year players are going to be start being more like Ross Gload.

You will always have LaRoche type guys available. Guys who can give you an 800-850 OPS.

We do not need to have a premium first baseman to contend in the AL East...Tampa proved that last year.

I don't know why you continue to act as if there is only one way to build a team. It is the single worst opinion that this site has ever seen. There are tons of ways for the Orioles to build a winning team in this division...and yes, adding a big name bat is one of those potential ways. But its only one of the ways.

You will always have LaRoche type guys available. Guys who can give you an 800-850 OPS.

We do not need to have a premium first baseman to contend in the AL East...Tampa proved that last year.

I don't know why you continue to act as if there is only one way to build a team. It is the single worst opinion that this site has ever seen. There are tons of ways for the Orioles to build a winning team in this division...and yes, adding a big name bat is one of those potential ways. But its only one of the ways.

How many playoff teams that had multiple appearances in consecutive years have had a different 1st baseman manning the position each time they went to the playoffs?

Every team that has a multiple year playoff run in recent memory has had stablity at the 1B position.

Each time the Orioles have been in the playoffs, they've had a 1st baseman that has manned the position for them for multiple years.

Boog Powell, Eddie Murray and Rafael Palmeiro.

Consistency at 1B has been a constant of winning Orioles teams.

So did Texas.

Archived