Reynolds soon

wvw011166

First, I believe GoGo is right that most posters have had unrealistic expectations of what it would take to get Reynolds. Also, this is not a 4-for-1 trade, it's a 4-for-2 trade. I don't know squat about Ryan Roberts, but just looking at his minor and major league career to this point, I'd say he's not quite up to the level of an even-up trade for Nolan Reimold, but he's not that far away from it, either, considering the positions he plays. I'd say this is a relatively fair proposal, but I doubt it's one we'd pull the trigger on. We'd need to give just a little less or get a little more as a secondary piece.

I would be disappointed in MacPhail if that was the final package, let's just put it that way.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Keep in mind we only have so many chips to deal and we still need to trade for a SS and likely will have to trade for an upgrade in LF or 1B.

If Reynolds is the best we can do, then you might pull the trigger, but not until you see what SD wants for AGon, Milwaukee for Fielder, Minnesota for Hardy, Nats for Willingham etc.

And you pursue Beltre aggressively still because it would be nice to keep those chips for an upgrade elsewhere.

I agree sir.

I'm passing on Fielder and AGon but I'm interested in Hardy and Willingham.

What would it take to get Willingham?

In reading some of the stuff from the Arizona site, it lets me know two things.

1. Every fanbase goes through the same thing we do each year, which the exceptions of the Yanks, Sox, Angels, etc. who know they will make moves to improve the team.

and...

2. Each team's fanbase uses stats to overrate OUR OWN players while trashing the other teams players.

So, in essence, what it tells me is we don't know as much as we think we know!

From Diamondbacks.com

"3B Mark Reynolds: The D-backs set a Major League strikeouts record in 2010, and addressing that is a chief concern. With that in mind, the club has looked at dealing Reynolds, who has led the Majors in strikeouts three years in a row. Last season he smacked 32 homers but hit just .198, so it's not known how much of a return they would get for him, but he is available."

Even the Diamondbacks home page reporters don't look for a big return on Reynolds.

http://arizona.diamondbacks.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20101202&content_id=16244224&vkey=news_ari&c_id=ari

First, I believe GoGo is right that most posters have had unrealistic expectations of what it would take to get Reynolds. Also, this is not a 4-for-1 trade, it's a 4-for-2 trade. I don't know squat about Ryan Roberts, but just looking at his minor and major league career to this point, I'd say he's not quite up to the level of an even-up trade for Nolan Reimold, but he's not that far away from it, either, considering the positions he plays. I'd say this is a relatively fair proposal, but I doubt it's one we'd pull the trigger on. We'd need to give just a little less or get a little more as a secondary piece.

I can't agree with this. Ryan Roberts is a 30 year old fringe player that has not established himself in the majors and probably is about out of chances. He came up as a 2B and that is his best positon. Though the D'backs have tried to make him into a utility player he does not play SS hardly at all and doesn't seem to play 3B very well. He doesn't hit enough to be an outfielder. Basically I don't think he would make the O's out of ST.

It sounds to me like new Dbacks GM Tower wants to rid himself of both Reynolds strikeouts and his two year 13M contract. If he wants multiple players they will probably be minor leaguers and he will be darn lucky to get DH from MacPhail. The only reason DH might go in the trade is if MacPhail is able to sign a FA reliever to replace him that doesn't cost too much. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if MacPhail asks for money to come back with Reynolds.

No other team seem to be after Reynolds so Tower bargaining position is weak. He can keep Reynolds strikeouts and salary or trade for a small return IMO.

Are you talking about me?

I suggested something like David Hernandez, Jim Johnson, Nolan Reimold, and Josh Bell for Mark Reynolds and Ryan Roberts. The Orioles get a starting third baseman and a starting SS/super utility guy who can fill in and bat leadoff if Brian Roberts gets hurt. The Diamondbacks get two relievers, one with injury issues, and two question marks. That's hardly a great deal for them. I would say that trade is slanted in the Orioles favor...

Reynolds is going to cost a lot more than you guys think he will. They're not going to give him up for spare parts.

No, not you at all. I've said all along that this board underestimates what the cost will be. Reynolds is a quality player and Arizona knows what they have. I think the package you present here is going to be closer to the final package than a lot of people realize. I've been saying DH and JJ from the beginning and a little more wouldn't surprise me.

Service time is the major issue. The Orioles won't give up 12 years of service time (or whatever it is combined with those 4 players) for 1 year of Reynolds and a utility guy.

I agree Reynolds is going to cost more then most of us initially thought. But i can't imagine it making sense to give so much cheap talent for 1 year of a flawed 3B and a 30 year old Robert Andino.

Reynolds for David Hernandez is a starting point, but not an end point.

Service time is the major issue. The Orioles won't give up 12 years of service time (or whatever it is combined with those 4 players) for 1 year of Reynolds and a utility guy.

I agree Reynolds is going to cost more then most of us initially thought. But i can't imagine it making sense to give so much cheap talent for 1 year of a flawed 3B and a 30 year old Robert Andino.

Reynolds for David Hernandez is a starting point, but not an end point.

Reynolds is signed for 2 years and has an option.

Archived