Source: Orioles Close To Signing Kevin Gregg To Two Year Deal

Brendan25

Have I missed something or has this deal been completed? All of this hububb over a deal that hasn't even been completed seems extreme. Hell even if it is done, put me in the "we didn't lose a pick, so who cares about the money" group.

I have it on pretty good authority that BAL offered a 2 year deal worth 8-10 MM, which was also reported in the press, at the Winter Meetings.

I am far from the most connected person in the world, but I do have a few people with media/org. connections with whom I speak occasionally. I haven't heard anything about us actually increasing our offer in terms of dollars or years since then. My understanding is that we made him our offer a couple of weeks ago, which was the top offer at the time, and he seemed in no hurry to accept it. He's probably shopping it around.

I'd be surprised if they guaranteed a third year or bumped up the total to 12 MM. As far as I know nothing like that has been officially offered, but I could certainly be wrong.

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The O's already have 7 legitimate options for starters...

Matusz, Guthrie, Arrieta, Bergesen, Tillman, Britton, and VandenHurk.

Berken is an 8th, and just as capable of being a spot starter out of the pen as Kawakami would be.

Berken and VDH aren't starters. Even in a poor year for KK last year, his FIP was like 4.3 or so..That's pretty good and a good indicator that he was better than his numbers showed last year.
If ATL was willing to eat 2/3's of the payroll, that carries more weight. Of course the fact that the Braves would be willing to give him a way (eating 2/3's of his salary and getting a nothing prospect back) says something of what ATL thinks of him and his abilities.
I thinmk it says something about their depth in their staff and wanting to save some money.
Gregg's last 3 seasons point to him being more than a generic reliever. Even with mediocre control, his k numbers are good.. his hits per IP are good... his OPS against is good.. and he has already experienced pitching in the AL East in high leverage situations.

And remember, he has compiled some of those numbers against the Orioles, now he doesn't get to face our lineup( i say this with no idea of how he did against us though).

If they are not going to do that, all that matters is that the O's sign the pitcher they believe will perform the best. Obviously if the O's sign Gregg, they value him above those other 51 relievers.

Well, they also valued guys like Walker, Bradford, Baez and Gonzalez highly as well...How did that work out?

At least Gonzo was the far superior pitcher even if he did cost the pick.

Berken and VDH are every bit as good an option to start as Kawakami would be in the American League. You are talking about nothing more than a spot starter in either case.
Based on what?
It says ATL values saving $2.2M over anything they would get from Kawakami in 2011, and that they believe they would have to pay 2/3s of his contract to make him appealing to anyone to take.

So what? They have an extremely deep pitching staff and could probably use the money. Is Hardy no good because of how the Twins traded him?

What matters if signed, is MacPhail believing he is the best bet of available options to produce over the length of the contract.

MacPhail and the O's might believe Gregg is a superior option to all available - among players that would not cost a pick.

Is the fact that AM believes this supposed to sway my opinion?

In 3 years he has pitched 7.1 IP vs Baltimore. To be fair, my point about him knowing the AL East matters little, considering his minimal amount of outings against the East during the past 3 years.

Well, this isn't really a fair thing to say...All 7.1 IP against the Orioles happened last year, the most recent season we are basing his numbers off of. Those innings against our terrible offense accounted for 12% of his IP last year.

Now, he did perform well vs Boston and NY in the same IP...He performed poorly against the Rays.

I feel like this is a twilight zone episode.

Orioles close to signing Gregg according to .... Next post Orioles are NOT close to signing Gregg according to .... Next post Orioles have offered Gregg, but not close according to .... Next post, Orioles find Hoffa body while changing seating configuration .... Next post, JTrea wants this first baseman from Milwakee, whats his name? I am waiting for Gregg singns with Team XYZ and AM says we never actually got close enough to offering a contract. Is this episode going to have an end and has there ever been more written about a BP arm replacement in the history of mankind?

Kawakami last year pitched 87.1 ip, allowed 98 hits, 10 homers, 32 walks, 59 k's, .284 baa, .830 OPS, 0.72 G/F with a 5.15 era in the Natonal League.

Explain to me how as a spot starter in the American League, Kawakami is a better option than VandenHurk or Berken.

Berken had a 6 ERA, right? Berken is also going to hopefully get back to where he was..with a major shoulder issue. VDH barely showed he could be a quality BP arm.

KK's stats weren't pretty but it was only 87 IP. As I said, his FIP was much better, 4.35. His xFIP was 4.56. The year before, in 156 IP, he had a sub 4 ERA with a 4.21 FIP.

I am fairly certain that KK would give you a 4.5 ERA as a starter way before either of those 2.

Who said Kawakami was no good? Still a fact that if they traded him for a nothing prospect, and $2.2M of salary savings they valued that above what he could contribute to them in 2011
And so what if they do? What is your point? They value the money and giving other pitchers a chance more than what KK is going to give them for 1 season. What is the big deal about that?
Your opinion does not exactly matter, does it?
No..but telling me that all is important is how AM values him is meaningless. Obviously he values him highly..He wanted him last year. He has Hendry in his ear in all likelihood. He values ex-Cubs, we all know that. But that idea doesn't make me think this is a good signing.
However, if the O's would not reinvest those 'savings' into the Scouting or Player Development.... what would possibly matter more than the O's signing the guy they believe is most likely to perform over the length of the contract

Again, there is something to be said about not making idiotic decisions.

Orioles close to signing Gregg according to .... Next post Orioles are NOT close to signing Gregg according to .... Next post Orioles have offered Gregg, but not close according to .... Next post, Orioles find Hoffa body while changing seating configuration .... Next post, JTrea wants this first baseman from Milwakee, whats his name? I am waiting for Gregg singns with Team XYZ and AM says we never actually got close enough to offering a contract. Is this episode going to have an end and has there ever been more written about a BP arm replacement in the history of mankind?

This is absolutely the funniest thing I've heard in days. Completely true, which makes it even funnier. "Great post man"

Actually, MacPhail is probably throwing out all of the Gregg rumors himself, to deter his real goal in getting Cantu for a one year $25,000 contract. But knowing him, he's probably deciding if there's a cheaper deal out there.

Actually, MacPhail is probably throwing out all of the Gregg rumors himself, to deter his real goal in getting Cantu for a one year $25,000 contract. But knowing him, he's probably deciding if there's a cheaper deal out there.

Hey, what a surprise. You hijacking another thread with your 1B ideas.

I apologize if this is already posted in this marathon thread.

One excerpt from today's MLBTR Chat:

3:53 [Comment From I LOVE RANKINGSI LOVE RANKINGS: ]

Ben, how would you rnak the top 5 closers that are available via free agency or trade?

Wednesday December 15, 2010 3:53 I LOVE RANKINGS

3:53 Ben Nicholson-Smith: OK this is off the top of my head:

Soriano, Jenks, Gregg, Wood, Aardsma

It seems that 5 or 6 teams are in on every reliever. I would be happy with one at this point, but I see the price of relief pitching as relatively expensive. Gregg might just get a 3-year deal.

The White Sox get Crain and are in discussion with Wood. Crain, Wood, Dunn, and Konerko would be a good haul for them. They should win their division IMO.

You have the most "Debbie-Downer" name. I will ask you this, how much better are the Orioles in the AL East with both of the lineups below (Compare both).

Roberts

Markakis

LaRoche

Scott

Reynolds

Jones

Wieters

Hardy

Pie

Vs.

Roberts

Markakis

Guerrero

Scott

Reynolds

Jones

Wieters

Hardy

Pie

I say 2-3 wins at the most, assuming that the bullpen and starters are what we all seem to think they will be. I like the first lineup more than the second, if I were the Orioles I would try to land LaRoche and Guerrero. Then try to run the following lineup out there.

Roberts

Markakis

LaRoche

Guerrero

Scott

Reynolds

Wieters

Jones

Hardy

I see a lot of power in that lineup and speed with Hardy, Jones, Roberts, and Markakis at the bottom to top. Power is in the middle.

Archived