Rumor: D. Lee agrees to 1 year deal with O's pending physical

MatthewW

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe Roch is Matt's source? :laughlol:

Roch didn't confirm anything, but he certainly seemed VERY positive that the Orioles were gonna sign a real first baseman, and that LaRoche was pretty much out of the picture. That's some pretty strong comments from Roch, and seems to indicate the O's are close with Lee.

I think as Roch said this will hopefully be done by next week. Perhaps as many as three moves when we get the ball rolling.

This observation from Roch is interesting:

Lee is willing to take a one-year deal. LaRoche is looking for three years and would prefer going somewhere else unless the market completely dries up.

Alot of people thought it was the other way around. LaRoche might still sign here and all this posturing with the O's saying this and the Nat's saying that will be over. I think the O's want someone to make up their mind and soon.

That is a little different than down to physicals. The O's would want that to be known. They might not come out and formally state it, but they would certainly tell people like Roch, Schmuck, Jeff Z, etc etc.

Considering MacPhail http://www.masnsports.com/school_of_roch/2010/12/ok-so-what-about-today.html'>is no longer talking to the media, I doubt this is the case.

Yesterday passed without the Orioles doing anything. President of baseball operations Andy MacPhail might have made contact with more agents or rival executives, but that's only an assumption. The media has been left in the dark because he's no longer returning our calls.

I think as Roch said this will hopefully be done by next week. Perhaps as many as three moves when we get the ball rolling.

This observation from Roch is interesting:

Lee is willing to take a one-year deal. LaRoche is looking for three years and would prefer going somewhere else unless the market completely dries up.

Alot of people thought it was the other way around. LaRoche might still sign here and all this posturing with the O's saying this and the Nat's saying that will be over. I think the O's want someone to make up their mind and soon.

Do you think the Nats may prefer LaRoche even though some media types were suggesting earlier in the week that a deal w/ Lee may be getting closer? I want Lee to sign here, but I'm not sure why Lee would choose the O's over the Nats unless the O's were offering more money.

If true I would love to have whatever it is he has been smoking. 4 year @ 14 mil. Sorry but BIG TIME pass.

Wow, that truly does sound drug-inspired. "Dude... wait. Okay. Listen. [bong bubbling... suppressed cough...] Dude! Think about this. It's the ORIOLES maaaaan. They NEED me. I'm Adam FRIGGIN Laroche, man. Okay, are you cool? Alright. Listen. I know they're countering with, what, $7 mill a year? Well, screw that. I say we go back to them with $14 mill a year. Take it or leave it, bra. That's the deal. Hand me my cell phone! Hahaha! This is going to be great!"

I'm very curious.... one year of Lee (which i preferred over LRoche, but wanted to add a club option for DLee) would be ideal. Fielder and AGon (assuming no Bosox extension) would be the proof in the bait-pudding for McP "buy the bats" next year. Let the first basemen rain down, Lord, let them rain down.

I wish I could believe this. But if AM could not sign Tex - who is from Severna Park and represented the savior of the Orioles at the time - I don't have any faith he'll magically sign Fielder. I could be wrong, of course. But I don't see Fielder coming here in free agency. I bet he'll be traded before then and re-up with whoever he's traded to (not the Orioles).

I wish I could believe this. But if AM could not sign Tex - who is from Severna Park and represented the savior of the Orioles at the time - I don't have any faith he'll magically sign Fielder. I could be wrong, of course. But I don't see Fielder coming here in free agency. I bet he'll be traded before then and re-up with whoever he's traded to (not the Orioles).
This would be uncharacteristic behavior for a Boras client. Not likely. Top contenders for Fielder: Cubs, LADS's Texas, Gnats, O's

I don't have high hopes about signing Fielder but the Yankees and Red Sox will not need a first baseman when Fielder hits the market.

Fielder will be a National next offseason. You can almost book it.

The Nats aren't afraid of pursuing and actually know how to land a Boras client.

Do you think the Nats may prefer LaRoche even though some media types were suggesting earlier in the week that a deal w/ Lee may be getting closer? I want Lee to sign here, but I'm not sure why Lee would choose the O's over the Nats unless the O's were offering more money.

I don't know!? Better ballpark to hit in? That could be a big deal to a guy looking to rebound off of a sub par season(for him anyway).

Archived