Rumor: D. Lee agrees to 1 year deal with O's pending physical

MatthewW

Just as the title says, I have been told by somebody that has knowledge of the situation that the Orioles have agreed to a 1 year deal with 1B Derrek Lee pending physical... Don't know the money.

Told that LaRoche was seeking a 4 year deal @ ~$14M a year.

So I rarely 'rate' threads. I probably haven't rated five threads ever.

But I was one of a few who rated this thread a 'one' early on. The whole 'LaRoche was seeking a 4 year deal @ ~ $14m/yr' made me think MattW had no validity. LaRoche reportedly sought a 3 yr deal @ ~ $10m last year. He was unable to get that deal, and then he had a 2010 season that was significantly less successful than his 2009 season.

Of course I still believe there's something fishy about the details of the OP, but I'm now assuming that was a bit of info that went wrong like a game of operator. Rep to MattW.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nice work Matt! The OH once again brings us the news before the news.

So... does this also mean that the insane Laroche demand for four years at $14 million per was accurate too? If so, wow. I am very, very glad we didn't do anything nuts to sign him. As in, anything beyond $7 million per, and 2-3 years.

Nice work AM. A good evening for the Orioles, and those of us who plan on paying money for tickets next season.

I rated the thread + early on, just because I had a feeling. Repped Matthew after it broke.

But the bolded is hard to believe even with a good source. I think I said this earlier in the thread, but LaRoche must be out of his mind. Egomaniac. :eek:

...so I have been out all day, hearing no Orioles news and I just got home to say that I felt 100% comfortable removing 'rumor' and calling this 'fact.'

Only to find out that the 'news breakers' (aka Jeff Z) beat me to it :D

Well done young Skywalker!:vader:

...so I have been out all day, hearing no Orioles news and I just got home to say that I felt 100% comfortable removing 'rumor' and calling this 'fact.'

Props to you. Not only are you an instant phenom on the Hangout, you'll probably get a lot more girls now.

Repped. Good call buddy!

I also repped you. Well done - not just about being right but also titling the OP as rumor. Underpromise and overdeliver - it always works.

This reminded of the young guy who posted three off season ago about his mother knowing somebody who was a travel agant and was making a plane reservation for Adam Jones to come to Baltimore and that he had heard the trade included a reliever who name sounded like Michelob. If I knew how to search threads I would try to find it.

Nice work Matt! The OH once again brings us the news before the news.

So... does this also mean that the insane Laroche demand for four years at $14 million per was accurate too? If so, wow. I am very, very glad we didn't do anything nuts to sign him. As in, anything beyond $7 million per, and 2-3 years.

Nice work AM. A good evening for the Orioles, and those of us who plan on paying money for tickets next season.

Congrats Matt, you the man. I think you heard the LaRoche demand wrong. I think it was 2 years for 14 million. I think LaRoche's demands came down as he was looking for suitors. Ask your source if this is true? Any other good rumors? Might the O's sign two guys this week? Perhaps one today?

Congrats Matt, you the man. I think you heard the LaRoche demand wrong. I think it was 2 years for 14 million. I think LaRoche's demands came down as he was looking for suitors. Ask your source if this is true? Any other good rumors? Might the O's sign two guys this week? Perhaps one today?

You kill me with this stuff. Who is it? Vladdy? Thome? Soriano? Raffy? :rofl:

I know what I heard, and it was what I said... 4 @ ~14M per. However, I'll leave that as 'rumor'. I'm not ready to call that information 'fact'...

I have said this in other threads... I do not expect any 'significant' roster additions in the near future. Talks are on-going (as I am sure there are with the other 29 teams...), but nothing 'major' or imminent.

EDIT: Could also add that my stance of MacPhail has changed. He has done a solid job this offseason. Hopefully, that continues through next off-season.

I know what I heard, and it was what I said... 4 @ ~14M per. However, I'll leave that as 'rumor'. I'm not ready to call that information 'fact'...

I have said this in other threads... I do not expect any 'significant' roster additions in the near future. Talks are on-going (as I am sure there are with the other 29 teams...), but nothing 'major' or imminent.

EDIT: Could also add that my stance of MacPhail has changed. He has done a solid job this offseason. Hopefully, that continues through next off-season.

Keep your ear to the ground tomorrow. After John Stockstill gives his report to Andy, I am sure something will heat up on the reliever side.

Archived