Rumor: D. Lee agrees to 1 year deal with O's pending physical

MatthewW

Dreaming that the insider tidbit is correct. Sign Beltre to play 3rd move Reynolds over to 1st base and what an offseason it's been. :D

Yeah, but that bit of info was a year ago. Not the first or last time that guy has "leaked" totally unsubstantiated rumor.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If this proves to be true, we've had a bunch of best case scenarios play out this offseason.

--TWO salary dump high reward guys at key positions of need in trades that clearly favored us.

--(IF true) only having to invest a single year into a high reward right-handed 1st baseman so we can continue to look for a long-term answer (blocked or salary dump).

I'll be very satisfied if this rumor comes true.

If the reliever part is true (Balt Sun), I'm praying it's not someone we have to give up a pick for. Now that would sour me a little.

Just as the title says, I have been told by somebody that has knowledge of the situation that the Orioles have agreed to a 1 year deal with 1B Derrek Lee pending physical... Don't know the money.

Told that LaRoche was seeking a 4 year deal @ ~$14M a year.

I would actually believe the first part of this (the Lee signing) before I believe the second part.

If that is true, LaRoche is in for some heavy disappointment.

Thanks for the info about it being a year old post.:rolleyes:

Actually, the 12-30-10 ESPN MLB Rumors has thoughts on the O's re-entering in on Beltre:

How about we add the Orioles? Andy MacPhail went after Victor Martinez and Adam Dunn earlier in the offseason, so the team is not afraid to think big. Beltre could play third with Mark Reynolds moving to first.

http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/features/rumors/_/date/20101230

LaRoche at four years at $14 mil a year? Him and his agent know this is not going to happen. They could actually sign Lee if he agrees to the contract. Also could go the other way. I think they have kicked the tires on Beltre but unless he gets stuck, I don't see him coming here. I think the starting pitcher trade or signing is on hold till some of the free agents get signed.

You know, you don't have to have an established, long-term solution at every position. Every year there are LaRoche, Lee types available on 1/10 kind of deals. I think it's legitimate to just plan on picking up someone like that every offseason until you can acquire or grow a young first baseman at a reasonable cost.

I agree. Yet it seems like this board is obsessed with finding long term solutions everywhere possible, probably because Boston and NY seem to have long term solutions at every position. And if they don't, they've got a stud coming along, or their "holes" don't seem as significant because the rest of their lineup is so good.

I mean, if we had Brett Gardner we'd probably have daily threads on how we need to trade him or how he's not the long term solution for us. I can't speak for Yankees fans but from the outside looking in, it doesn't seem like they perceive him as a problem.

I don't know what posters you are referring to, but bigbird was definitely "legit." Not every tidbit he posted proved out, but his info was confirmed often enough that I'm 100 percent sure he had a source inside the Warehouse. Plus, his posts about his opinions on the team were insightful even if I didn't always agree. I'm still ticked off that snarky comments eventually caused him to stop posting. And the fact that bigbird liked Duquette and came to feel that MacPhail wasn't doing enough doesn't mean he wasn't "legit.". He was one of the best posters on this board and I'm really sorry he's gone.

I enjoyed his posts as well. I wish he would come back and contribute.

I don't know what posters you are referring to, but bigbird was definitely "legit." Not every tidbit he posted proved out, but his info was confirmed often enough that I'm 100 percent sure he had a source inside the Warehouse. Plus, his posts about his opinions on the team were insightful even if I didn't always agree. I'm still ticked off that snarky comments eventually caused him to stop posting. And the fact that bigbird liked Duquette and came to feel that MacPhail wasn't doing enough doesn't mean he wasn't "legit.". He was one of the best posters on this board and I'm really sorry he's gone.
Ditto, A big loss for the hangout.
ditto here

Mega dittos;)

Archived