The Astros' Owner and G.M. Have Long-Term Plans

OFFNY

All that talk about Appel getting promoted?

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Mark Appel throws five scoreless innings, allowing two hits and four walks in his first Double-A start.</p>— Brian McTaggart (@brianmctaggart) <a href="

">July 31, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/08/astros-could-still-reach-deal-with-brady-aiken.html

The Astros could still end up signing first overall draft pick Brady Aiken, and ?the expectation from those close to the negotiation? is that the two sides will reach an agreement around the time of Jacob Nix?s grievance hearing, Fangraphs? Kiley McDaniel reports (Twitter links). The MLBPA filed the grievance on Nix?s behalf last month, and the hearing will reportedly be held during the offseason.

How are the Astros allowed to come to an agreement to sign Aiken? Under what loophole?

• 3 weeks later...

INVESTMENT CLUB

The Houston Astros aren't winning, but owner Jim Crane and G.M. Jeff Luhnow say that it's just a matter of time.

(By Molly Knight)

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/9357636/houston-astros-hope-strong-farm-system-improve-club-espn-magazine

This thread was started in June of 2013.

As the 2014 season winds down, the Astros front office has to be at least modestly pleased, as the team has definitely shown some signs of improvement over the previous 3 seasons, all of which were WELL OVER 100 loss seasons for the team from southeast Texas.

I've stated before that in 2015, I suspect that the Mets will step up into contention next year with their young, talented, starting pitching staff (especially with Matt Harvey coming back to the team.)

Perhaps the Astros will follow the Mets in 2016.

This thread was started in June of 2013.

As the 2014 season winds down, the Astros front office has to be at least modestly pleased, as the team has definitely shown some signs of improvement over the previous 3 seasons, all of which were WELL OVER 100 loss seasons for the team from southeast Texas.

I've stated before that in 2015, I suspect that the Mets will step up into contention next year with their young, talented, starting pitching staff (especially with Matt Harvey coming back to the team.)

Perhaps the Astros will follow the Mets in 2016.

And of course, watch out for the Cubs next year.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Hear the Astros are going hard to get one of the top closers on the market. Among those on the wish list: Miller, Robertson, Romo.</p>— Brian McTaggart (@brianmctaggart) <a href="

">November 14, 2014</a></blockquote>

OK they just lost me.

Here I thought this was an analytics driven franchise.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Hear the Astros are going hard to get one of the top closers on the market. Among those on the wish list: Miller, Robertson, Romo.</p>— Brian McTaggart (@brianmctaggart) <a href="
">November 14, 2014</a></blockquote>

OK they just lost me.

Here I thought this was an analytics driven franchise.

Nope. Just Coco Puffs.

• 5 months later...

INVESTMENT CLUB

The Houston Astros aren't winning, but owner Jim Crane and G.M. Jeff Luhnow say that it's just a matter of time.

(By Molly Knight)

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/9357636/houston-astros-hope-strong-farm-system-improve-club-espn-magazine

TWO YEARS LATER:

The Astros are treading water early in the season (5-6.)

Dallas Keuchel and Collin McHugh have both gotten off to excellent starts early on.

TWO YEARS LATER:

Dallas Keuchel and Collin McHugh have both gotten off to excellent starts early on.

Too early to tell. Chicago is 4-7, Cleveland is 4-7, and Seattle is 5-7. Only two teams in the AL are appreciably over .500 (Detroit and KC). Houston's actually in first place in the West at 6-6.

o

OFFNY said:
o

INVESTMENT CLUB

(By Molly Knight)

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/9357636/houston-oastros-hope-strong-farm-system-improve-club-espn-magazine

OFFNY said:

o

TWO YEARS LATER:

o

o

It probably won't last, but the Astros are in 1st place in the A.L. West after 15 games:

MLB Turns Back The Clock To 1986 With Mets And Astros

(By David Young)

http://www.sportsgrid.com/mlb/mlb-turns-back-the-clock-to-1986-with-mets-and-astros/

o