Alternate to the current Wild Card format and Division and Championship Series

NashLumber

As for me, I'm happy with the current format. I like how the 2 Wild Card teams have a play-in game. Divisional titles are a great accomplishment and this at least means the winner of the play-in game had to play a high pressure elimination game to make the cut, not just back into the playoffs by being the "best of the rest".

That said, a friend of mine proposed this in a discussion we were having. I don't think this has much of a chance to happen, but I think it has merit and shows some creativity. He and I usually disagree on everything baseball related. I support the shorter season part in particular. Baseball in 30 degree weather in November is awful.

His proposal:

" Here's my plan. Major realignment. Five 6 team divisions, arranged more or less geographically. Play each of the other 5 teams in your division 16 times (80 games) Play each of the 24 other teams 3 games (home series in alternate years - 72 games). Knock 10 games off the regular season. Five division winners in the playoffs plus the best record 2nd place team get byes to the second round of playoffs. First round is the other 4 second place teams in a 2 of 3 series to round out the 8 teams in the playoffs. Round of 8 - best 3 of 5. You could either seed the teams based on record, or do a random draw they way they do soccer tournaments in Europe. Last two rounds are best 4 of 7.

If a second place team makes a run, they're still only at 170 or so games for the year.

I left out the best past. By finally scrapping the obsolete American League or National League, the All-Star game goes away and gets replaced by a three day Home Run Derby/Web Gem party."

I left out the best past. By finally scrapping the obsolete American League or National League, the All-Star game goes away and gets replaced by a three day Home Run Derby/Web Gem party."

I'm guessing this last part was a bit in jest regarding the Home Run Derby and Web Gem Party. But who knows.

Archived