A Tale of Two Teams (the Orioles and the Blue Jays)

OFFNY

o

The Blue Jays are undoubtedly one of the best teams in baseball right now.

They have gone 23-5 over their last 28 games.

Their starting pitching has improved considerably in that 28-game stretch.

Their offense has been an absolute battering ram.

And they have the home-field advantage in their upcoming 3-game series with the Orioles.

The Orioles have been playing like one of the worst teams in baseball as of late.

They have gone 2-12 over their last 14 games, essentially playing themselves out of any playoff possibility.

Their starting pitching overall has been in a shambles.

Their offense has been anemic.

They have gone 9-53 this season in games in which they have scored 3 runs or less. That 9-53 mark represents 47% of their games, which says a lot about the lack of consistency that they have gotten from their offense, AND the starting pitching's inability to keep their team in games.

And although the Orioles took 2 out of 3 games from the Blue Jays the last time that they traveled north of the border, they are 2-4 overall against them at the SkyDome this season, and have historically struggled badly at that venue in recent years.

So based on all of that, I believe that the Oriole will sweep this upcoming 3-game series from the Blue Jays.

They have gone 9-53 this season in games in which they have scored 3 runs or less. That 9-53 mark represents 47% of their games, which says a lot about the lack of consistency that they have gotten from their offense, AND the starting pitching's inability to keep their team in games.

As a whole, all AL teams have averaged scoring 3 runs or less in 47% of their games. So, we are league average in that regard. However, the league wins 24% of the time when they score 3 or less, whereas the Orioles win 15% of the time. So, our pitching has been way worse than average in the ability to win a low-scoring game. We're about 5-6 wins below average right now in that regard.

So, this is all another way of saying that our offense is average, and our pitching (i.e., starting pitching) is below average. But we knew that.

As a whole, all AL teams have averaged scoring 3 runs or less in 47% of their games. So, we are league average in that regard. However, the league wins 24% of the time when they score 3 or less, whereas the Orioles win 15% of the time. So, our pitching has been way worse than average in the ability to win a low-scoring game. We're about 5-6 wins below average right now in that regard.

So, this is all another way of saying that our offense is average, and our pitching (i.e., starting pitching) is below average. But we knew that.

Thanks.

I did not know that.

I owe you a greenie.

I'd say our offense WAS average...however over the last month or so we've been below average. And our starting pitching has been a travesty.

That all points to a bad team. So, we are...a bad team.

I'd say our offense WAS average...however over the last month or so we've been below average. And our starting pitching has been a travesty.

But a team poised for a sweep as bad teams do from time to time.

As I have pointed out in few threads, our offense has been streaky. Overall, it has been about average. We are averaging 4.33 runs/game, compared to 4.34 league average, and we are 8th of the 15 teams, which is smack in the middle.

August was a mixed bag. The first half of the month the offense was above average. The second half was awful. September is TBD.

I would put money on the Orioles leading the league in percentage of runs scored off HR's. Just from watching games on tv it seems we dont score runs unless we hit HR's which I believe is not a good recipe for sustained winning.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

I would put money on the Orioles leading the league in percentage of runs scored off HR's. Just from watching games on tv it seems we dont score runs unless we hit HR's which I believe is not a good recipe for sustained winning.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Welcome to the board. It's a byproduct of our home park. The Orioles will always be more successful when they have more power hitters.

o

The Blue Jays are undoubtedly one of the best teams in baseball right now.

They have gone 23-5 over their last 28 games.

Their starting pitching has improved considerably in that 28-game stretch.

Their offense has been an absolute battering ram.

And they have the home-field advantage in their upcoming 3-game series with the Orioles.

The Orioles have been playing like one of the worst teams in baseball as of late.

They have gone 2-12 over their last 14 games, essentially playing themselves out of any playoff possibility.

Their starting pitching overall has been in a shambles.

Their offense has been anemic.

And although the Orioles took 2 out of 3 games from the Blue Jays the last time that they traveled north of the border, they are 2-4 overall against them at the SkyDome this season, and have historically struggled badly at that venue in recent years.

So based on all of that, I believe that the Oriole will sweep this upcoming 3-game series from the Blue Jays.

Next time, just shut up and watch the games.

If you track the win loss records of the Orioles and Blue Jays, we had almost the exact same ups and downs as the Jays up until the trad deadline. Then the promptly split apart with the same velocity upwards and downwards.

gskExBi.jpg

I love this kind of division race tracker. ESPN.com used to feature it many years ago. Where did you get it, if I may ask?

Archived