Shorebird's Catcher Yermin Mercedes earns 2nd SAL Player of the Week

DrShorebird

From Steve Ullman of the Delmarva Shorebirds

Mercedes Earns Second Player of the Week Nod

Catcher Hit .444 in Seven Games with Three Homers

SALISBURY, MD - Delmarva Shorebirds catcher Yermin Mercedes earned his second South Atlantic League Player of the Week award in 2016 for his play June 13-19. This marks the second consecutive week that a Shorebirds player has earned the honor, as Ryan Mountcastle took home the hardware for the week of June 6-12.

Mercedes, who will be the starting catcher in Tuesday?s South Atlantic League All-Star Game, posted a .444 average (12-for-27) in seven games to go with three home runs, eight RBIs and seven runs scored. He became the first player in the league to win the award twice in 2016.

The week was full of many highlights for Mercedes, as he knocked two hits in three straight games June 14-16. He then ended the first half with a fine performance against Hickory on Sunday, going 3-for-4 with a dramatic ninth-inning home run to put the Shorebirds ahead 8-7.

His play in the first half of the season has been instrumental in helping the Shorebirds post a 42-27 record, their best mark since 2005. Mercedes reached the all-star break ranking third in the SAL with a .341 average while leading the Shorebirds in hits (74), RBIs (40), on-base percentage (.380) and slugging (.544).

From Steve Ullman of the Delmarva Shorebirds

Mercedes Earns Second Player of the Week Nod

Catcher Hit .444 in Seven Games with Three Homers

SALISBURY, MD - Delmarva Shorebirds catcher Yermin Mercedes earned his second South Atlantic League Player of the Week award in 2016 for his play June 13-19. This marks the second consecutive week that a Shorebirds player has earned the honor, as Ryan Mountcastle took home the hardware for the week of June 6-12.

Mercedes, who will be the starting catcher in Tuesday?s South Atlantic League All-Star Game, posted a .444 average (12-for-27) in seven games to go with three home runs, eight RBIs and seven runs scored. He became the first player in the league to win the award twice in 2016.

The week was full of many highlights for Mercedes, as he knocked two hits in three straight games June 14-16. He then ended the first half with a fine performance against Hickory on Sunday, going 3-for-4 with a dramatic ninth-inning home run to put the Shorebirds ahead 8-7.

His play in the first half of the season has been instrumental in helping the Shorebirds post a 42-27 record, their best mark since 2005. Mercedes reached the all-star break ranking third in the SAL with a .341 average while leading the Shorebirds in hits (74), RBIs (40), on-base percentage (.380) and slugging (.544).

I've mentioned this before, but I would promote Mercedes to Bowie and Sisco to Norfolk after the all-star break so that both Mercedes and Murphy can play everyday at catcher. Mercedes is very old for Low A ball and dominating. I think he can handle the two level jump.

I've mentioned this before, but I would promote Mercedes to Bowie and Sisco to Norfolk after the all-star break so that both Mercedes and Murphy can play everyday at catcher. Mercedes is very old for Low A ball and dominating. I think he can handle the two level jump.

He has 17 passed balls. 17!

We have a lot of catchers doing well. I like what Austin Wynns is doing at Bowie and what Sawyer is doing at Frederick. Sounds like those guys have just as much a chance of being catchers as Mercedes. I think he's earned a promotion to Frederick, where he can DH and catch a little.

I'd like to see some promotions from the A ball teams now that the ASB is over with. Mercedes, Murphy, B.Gonzalez, R.Meisenger, and Cleavinger could all arguably be promoted to Frederick. Grimes and Scott should get a look in Bowie.

Still no Lezaro Leyva in Aberdeen. He could help out in Delmarva with all the BP departures.

Archived