• 44 replies
    • 4.1k views
    • 0 replies
    • 18 replies
    • 2.2k views
    • 19 replies
    • 1.9k views
    • 8 replies

• I'm not interested in gutting what is left of our farm system for two years of a SP when we should be able to just sign a FA of similar quality, so no thanks on Crochet.  Trading Mountcastle for some prospects to restock the farm a bit is something I am definitely open to though.
    • The last fews years haven't been "normal" because the Covid impact (which should be normalized now).  Then there is NIL impact providing more security for HS to choose college (still a moving target). There is less leverage for college guys.  So (in theory) there portfolio has a higher floor because you draft guys you know you can afford.  Versus punting some picks (underslot) while drafting HS guys (overslot).   I do think Elias/Sig lean toward the additional data against higher competition. But they take some shots at higher ceiling guys here/there, as you said, with the ultra prospects (per their board/scouting).
    • Basallo is not ready regardless of contract status.
    • Counting the number of service time days with Orioles, I get 62 (Jul 30 to Sep 28) out of 186, so I think it should be $2.11 MM.
    • If a 36 year old, soft-tossing, back-of-the-rotation SP like Jose Quintana is out of our price range when we are supposed to be in full go-for-it mode and are in clear need of additional starting pitching, then the Orioles should probably be contracted out of existence because we are not a serious MLB organization.