Manny Machado trade: Five sensible proposals

joew

1 hour ago, birdwatcher55 said:

The Cards are not giving up,their young pitching.

I'm not so sure. The certainly have enough depth to afford to part with one. And they could also use a 3B or SS upgrade. It's not outside the realm of possibility. 

5 hours ago, maybenxtyr said:

What do you mean? You don't think either of those are adequate?

Naming players from the majors would really be a waste of resources and likely not in the best interest of either club. If the Os take a player off another teams MLB roster it should be  a one year type salary dump that enhamces the return. Why take players whose service clocks are ticking when your likely not competing for the next 2-3 years. The Os brass...whomever that is should make the right decision for the long term health of the club not some made up pipe dream about competing next year.

If your getting Addison Russel, Baez, etc it should ge with the intent of flipping them elsewhere...but that's not the Orioles style. 

So they are better off taking 3-4 minor league players 

For example ...Dodgers Verdrugo, White, May, and D Jackson. If you can't get Verdrugo .....then get 

White, May, Lux, and Santana/Jackson

Thes are much better than anything mentioned for a team just starting a rebuild.

3 hours ago, nate22 said:

I'm not sure I'd trade for Montgomery because of his latest elbow injury.  He definitely won't pass our physical.

It would be stupid to trade for players on the MLB roster unless they enhance the return or with the intention to trade them as well.

This helps clarify for me where on the Fangraphs to local newspaper perspective spectrum Nightengale falls.  I'd love for him to be right, but the Yankees, Dodgers and Braves ones suggested are beyond my best case return hopes.  If I could do that Braves deal with Gausman and the Dodgers one with Schoop, that'd be a fine start on an overhaul, and Manny in pinstripes wouldn't bother me at all this fall. 

It would certainly better position the Orioles nucleus as a viable place for Machado to consider spending his FA years.

Archived