Underrated and Overrated player on OH

Sports Guy

Overrated: JR House, Jon Knott

Underrated: Brandon Fahey

Along those lines:

Overrated: Ryan Freel (quite the gamer, he)

Underrated: Farney

in truth: Under/Scott or Izturis (if only they could combine powers to form the mighty Iztott, Master of glove, bat, and axe).

Over/Berken (though I hope he proves me wrong)

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Overrated: 25-way tie

Underrated: nobody

That's life on a fan message board oriented towards one team's fans.

I was about to say this, but then I remembered Luke Scott.

A selection of players who were worse hitters than Luke Scott in 2010 (by wOBA):

Prince Fielder

David Ortiz

Ryan Braun

Adam Dunn

Adrian Gonzalez

Mark Teixeira

Ryan Howard

Alex Rodriguez

Scott is significantly more affordable than any of them, under team control longer than most, and yet if you asked anyone on this site if they'd trade Scott for anyone on this list, they'd say yes without hesitation.

To me Nick is over-rated. Also, dare I say Matt Wieters may be over rated? To me, while his bat speed probably won't keep him from being an above average catcher(when considering his fielding) , people still see him as a .900 OPS monster, which IMO he isn't. As much as I hope and dream he will be that all star catcher, I just don't see it with that long and somewhat slow swing.....

Overrated: Reimold

Injuries and bad outfield play have been a part of his resume for a while, but people seem to want to make excuses for him. I'm not saying he can't be a good solid LF on a contending club, but he seems to get the benefit of the doubt a lot. There's still a big question as to whether he's a major leaguer.

Underrated: Jones

He struggles at times..a lot of times, but people seem to dwell on those struggles as opposed to the production he does give and the potential he's shown to do even more. We even had one (seeming genuine thread) that proposed that we trade Jones and bring up Matt Angle in his place.

There's a funny sort of unintentional reversal inherent in this thread.

If the majority of OH respondents think that player A is underrated on the hangout, that probably indicates that he is actually overrated on the hangout.

If the majority of OH respondents think that player B is overrated on hangout, that probably makes him underrated on the hangout.

Overrated: Felix Pie - the guy can't stay healthy or produce consistently and people still want to give him his 3rd chance at taking the LF job. He's a 4th OFer at best.

Underrated: Adam Jones - A lot of people were ready to give up on Jones and still are, but the MLB Network guys made a great comparison to Bernie Williams yesterday. Unlike Pie, Jones still has Torii Hunter potential and he's got a great chance to break out this season.

Trea, as my previous post indicates, we agree.

It feels good. Different. Odd. Awkward, even. But good.

Archived