O's in the lead for Duchscherer

Guest Hayden2004

Guest Hayden2004

Britt_Ghiroli Brittany Ghiroli

Duchscherer via text said he's "very close with several teams" and decision will come this week. More to come on #Orioles.com

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Hayden2004

jcrasnick Jerry Crasnick

by KenWeinman1057

Justin Duchscherer has narrowed his choices to 4 teams, sources say. The #Nationals are making a strong push, along with the #Orioles.

One thing that struck me funny. The report said the O's were looking for an innings eater. That ain't Duchscherer! His high is 141 IP in 2008.

If Duscherer makes the rotation, all they need him to do is eat some innings until June/July...by that time, Tillman and/or Britton will be ready to come up.

When he has been a starter, I believe he has done well pitching deep into games.

One thing that struck me funny. The report said the O's were looking for an innings eater. That ain't Duchscherer! His high is 141 IP in 2008.

I question this also. You'd think the O's, if they had to choose, wd go for a guy with a little less talent and a lot more innings in him.

Guest Hayden2004

danconnollysun Dan Connolly

#Duchscherer sweepstakes down to 3 teams on 1-yr deals: #Orioles, #Nationals and #Mariners. He has more than one mjr lge offer

Guest Hayden2004

Both the #Orioles and #Nationals make sense for Duchscherer, who has made it no secret he wants to be by his son in New Jersey.

I question this also. You'd think the O's, if they had to choose, wd go for a guy with a little less talent and a lot more innings in him.

Why do we want "less talent"?

I know, we already have our starting five. Plus Britton. But EVERY team has starting pitcher injuries. And believe it or not, as much as we like the 5 young guys in our rotation, one of them may prove he isn't really good enough to be in a major league rotation. I know that's blasphemy, but there are any number of young pitchers who look good when they first come up but don't make it last long term. I can't think of many pitchers who were as dominant as Oliver Perez was his first year with Pittsburgh and now he's crap.

It almost seems like people here are AFRAID of signing somone who could turn out to be better than one of our young guys. That is utterly ridiculous.

If he is signed, I would expect him to start the year in the rotation. Birtton and Tillman for depth at AAA. Vandenhurk is the swingman. Duchscherer was solely a reliever up until 2008. However, he started in all 22 of his appearances in 2008 and was excellent. He missed all of 2009 and then started 5 games last year before going down again, and he was real good in those 5 starts. If you believe he's good enough to pitch in the majors, then it's probably a no contest between him and Tillman for the 5th spot. A ML contract with a low base pay (1M?) and incentives. I wouldn't guarantee him the 5th spot but I'd tell him it's his to lose. If thise guy is elibigle to become a FA next year, I make sure I put a team option in there for 2012. If he can stay healthy, he could become a valuable commodity.

What's in his pitching repetoir/arsenal? I can't recall.

Mariners' date=' eh? That'd be my choice on a 1-year deal.[/quote']

Both the #Orioles and #Nationals make sense for Duchscherer, who has made it no secret he wants to be by his son in New Jersey.

Seattle is awfully far from New Jersey.

Guest Hayden2004

danconnollysun Dan Connolly

One source says #Nationals are the fave to land Duchscherer. DC is near his son in NJ, and not in the brutal AL East. Os not out yet tho

This guy needs to put up some numbers this year. He'll have a much easier time doing that in the NL East than pitching against the Yankees and Red Sox several times. I'd say Baltimore's offer will have to be significantly better than Washington's to get him.

Archived