O's sign duchscherer

Guest Hayden2004

Very nice move and contract. If Duchscherer makes the rotation, the Orioles will have something I haven't had in a long time, starting pitching depth at AAA. Having Tillman and Britton start the year in AAA not only gives the Orioles some nice depth to start the year, but also allows the Orioles to move Duchscherer at the trading deadline if one or both are ready.

IF Duchscherer can't hold up as a starter, he could at least be a solid reliever as well so there is no downside to this move.

Nice pickup..

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/Baltimore-Orioles-sign-RHP-Justin-Duchscherer-013011

I think the rotation spot is his to lose at this point.

He'll probably be the 2nd or 3rd starter.

I have little doubt that the Orioles signed him in hopes that he would show that he is healthy and grab that last rotation spot.

However, he still needs to prove he can go 5+ innings and keep his stuff, so there is no guarantee of that right now.

The only bad part about this signing is that the incentives in Duke's contract will lead to more inane squabbling on what the true Opening Day payroll is and whether the increase from last season is "significant" enough.

Well at this point, he is only guaranteed 700K and likely to get 1.1M. Still, the jump isn't significant. ;)

As others have said, I think it's the Duke's spot to lose, but if Tillman dominates in spring training, there's no way they send him to AAA. He's too important to the club's future to not allow him to build off a strong spring.

Well at this point, he is only guaranteed 700K and likely to get 1.1M. Still, the jump isn't significant. ;)

Yeah but it will be interesting to see how balanced the escalator clause is for starts. If it is $550k for every 5 starts up to 30 then the estimations for his salary could vary "significantly" :D.

The Os have alot of depth at starting pitching. Can you guys see the Os trade tilliman or arrieta for a young hitter at first.

I think that is not very likely at this time, neither has the track record to be worth as much on the trade market as they are potentially worth to the Orioles.

As others have said, I think it's the Duke's spot to lose, but if Tillman dominates in spring training, there's no way they send him to AAA. He's too important to the club's future to not allow him to build off a strong spring.

Are we operating under the assumption that Arrieta and Bergy are locks?

Archived