Ryan Pearson named ESPN’s player of the week. George Mason is rolling.

O's are Legends

Vermont 81, St. John's 22, BC 42.

So yes, I'll admit that one wasn't a really sound example. I just picked a cofnernce leader from ESPN's standings and matched it up with two .500 teams in one of the Big 6 conferences.

Let me ask you something, though. In the NFL, do you think it was right that the Seahawks made the playoffs with a 7-9 record over the 10-6 Giants or Bucs?

So you're comparing a 16-team playoff format in a league with 32 teams versus a 68 team format with 300+ teams?

Pretty smart.

To answer your question, yes, but that's partly because the NFC West won't always be bad.

Some of these conferences, every year, just serve to take a spot in the tournament and that's it.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You must have reading comprehension issues then. For years my stance has been that the top 64 (now 68) RPI teams should make the tournament, go do a thread search if you feel like it.

Now, I still believe that those mid-majors contained in that group would lose more often than not to power conference teams that are ALSO in the top 68 RPI, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't make it.

I just hate it when teams that have no business sniffing the jocks of the teams in the RPI 50-60 make it because they were able to beat Northwestern Idaho Tech in their conference final game.

Everyone loves when the little guy upsets the big guy,and I get that, it's fun to watch for me too. But I'd rather see 8 out of 10 games be competitive than 3 out of 10 games be competitive with perhaps one or two major upsets.

*As an aside, if your true definition of upset is a lower seeded team beating a higher seeded team, you'd see many more upsets using my idea...that can't really be debated.

Why did you jump into this thread that was discussing a team with a 23 RPI ranking then?

Don't worry they won't get a high seed. They'll still get an 9th seed, at best, even if they wind up with a top 30 RPI.

It would be nice if more teams from the power conferences would schedule the tougher mid-majors. Finally, GMU, gets a shot at UVA next season, but I'm not holding my breath for Gary to schedule them.

So you're comparing a 16-team playoff format in a league with 32 teams versus a 68 team format with 300+ teams?

Pretty smart.

To answer your question, yes, but that's partly because the NFC West won't always be bad.

Some of these conferences, every year, just serve to take a spot in the tournament and that's it.

Thanks man, I appreciate your cynicism and disrespect to me and others throughout this thread. Regardless, the concepts are still the same. If someone wins their division (or conference), then I believe they should be in the playoffs (or final tournament). Sure, there are some conference winners that aren't as talented as the Dukes or Ohio States, but they were good enough to win their tournament.

Give me the teams that actually win a majority of their games and win their conference in the NCAA Tournament over the Virginia Techs of the world who play .500 ball even with a poor OOC schedule against weak opponents. Every day of the week.

Thanks man, I appreciate your cynicism and disrespect to me and others throughout this thread. Regardless, the concepts are still the same. If someone wins their division (or conference), then I believe they should be in the playoffs (or final tournament). Sure, there are some conference winners that aren't as talented as the Dukes or Ohio States, but they were good enough to win their tournament.

Give me the teams that actually win a majority of their games and win their conference in the NCAA Tournament over the Virginia Techs of the world who play .500 ball even with a poor OOC schedule against weak opponents. Every day of the week.

But Virginia Tech is, by and large, better than those teams year in and year out!

And unfortunately for Virginia Tech and their fans they would schedule an incredibly weak out of conference schedule.

This year' date=' Cincinnati could very well pay for this mistake.[/quote']

As I hope they do. :D The Crosstown Shootout was probably our worst game this year. Since then, we've gone on a 9-1 run.

As I hope they do. :D The Crosstown Shootout was probably our worst game this year. Since then, we've gone on a 9-1 run.

Re: bold - for Dayton as well.

The crosstown shootout is usually one of the best games of the year; a true rivalry. I remember watching that game at the hotel bar, I had set up all my work so I would be done by 7pm.

Nobody knew anything about college basketball. I kept telling everyone how this was going to be a great game but the first half was awful for both teams and never got better for Xavier the 2nd half either. 9-1 since though is awesome. Frease has been playing well and the only loss in that stretch he had 3 points against Charlotte.

Re: bold - for Dayton as well.

The crosstown shootout is usually one of the best games of the year; a true rivalry. I remember watching that game at the hotel bar' date=' I had set up all my work so I would be done by 7pm.

Nobody knew anything about college basketball. I kept telling everyone how this was going to be a great game but the first half was awful for both teams and never got better for Xavier the 2nd half either. 9-1 since though is awesome. Frease has been playing well and the only loss in that stretch he had 3 points against Charlotte.[/quote']

It was truly an awful game. I watched the first half but had to go somewhere during the second half, planning on watching the end on ESPN3 later. A friend texted me the final and I didn't even bother.

Tu Holloway also had a terrible game vs. Charlotte. Offense just went stagnant that game. It was just one of those days...With a win at Duquesne on Sunday and a few of the 25-30 ranked teams taking losses, I could see us squeaking into the Top 25.

They just locked up an at-large bid tonight.

George Mason mauls CAA rival VCU for 12th straight victory.

ESPN recap.

Full recap and everything else Mason Wednesday. Also, it's a joke they aren't ranked right now. Whatever, just keep taking care of business on the court. Believe it or not VCU got more votes last week than they had the week before after ODU beat them at their house and it took them double OT to beat the Hens. Anyway, Alabama gets votes as well with a RPI I think in the 80's or 90's and a strength of schedule around 115-120 or something...

George Mason getting the feel of 2006 squad – Andy Katz

George Mason coach Jim Larranaga didn't group this week's road games together as any more important than a pair earlier this season.

But I will.

The Patriots' 20-point win at VCU on Tuesday was quite a statement to the rest of the Colonial Athletic Association and the NCAA tournament selection committee.

Spoiler Alert: Five years removed from a Cinderella Final Four run, George Mason is looking like a bracket buster again – SI Issue

How about a salute to Jim Larranaga and George Mason? His team is in the thick of the Colonial Athletic Association race, and he has another 20-win season. This could be a dangerous team come tournament time.
– Dick Vitale, USA Today (written before Mason beat down VCU)

George Mason isn't going to be this year's George Mason. They could be better. - David Aldridge (written before Mason’s win at VCU)

ESPN Power Rankings

Is there a hotter team in the nation than George Mason? After Tuesday's dominant victory at VCU, the Patriots have won 12 straight games and, with the exception of a squeaker at James Madison on Jan. 22, no team has come within striking distance of Jim Larranaga's impressive squad.

Everyone from John Riggins to B. Mitch are paying attention to the Patriots these days; even Gary Williams was giving Mason ton of props. RPI of 21 and strength of schedule at 65.

-- Hope everyone enjoys the articles, go Mason!

Archived