Brian Roberts Stiffness in Neck

mdevito

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

JeffZSun

MacPhail says it's too early to be concerned about Roberts

Orioles President of Baseball Operations Andy MacPhail said that the team is not worried about Brian Roberts even as the veteran second baseman missed a third straight workout today because of a stiff neck.

“I don’t have any information to suggest it’s a concern at this present time,” MacPhail said.

Roberts woke up Wednesday morning with a sore neck. He had X-rays taken, but it was diagnosed as muscle spasms. Roberts said that he didn’t think the discomfort was related to the herniated disk in his lower back, which limited him to 59 games last year.

MacPhail said that as of now, no further tests are planned on Roberts, whose condition has steadily improved. He also said that he’s hopeful that the leadoff hitter will rejoin workouts tomorrow.

“It’s February 25. We have a long way to go,” said MacPhail.

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/2011/02/macphail_says_its_too_early_to.html

I keep hearing this is nothing but I have woken up with a stiff neck before and it never cost me three days at work, or one for that matter.

Three days out is evidently my worrying point for Roberts.

I was concerned that this whole issue was linked to that self induced concussion, but I guess not. Hope he feels better soon.

I keep hearing this is nothing but I have woken up with a stiff neck before and it never cost me three days at work, or one for that matter.

Three days out is evidently my worrying point for Roberts.

I don't know what you do for a living, but I'm guessing it's not playing baseball at the Major League level. I'm sure there are a lot of jobs that working with a stiff neck is pretty easy, if not easy, expected of you anyway because your boss doesn't have millions of dollars invested in you. I'm sure his time off is part stiffness, part organization telling him to relax and to not take a chance.

I'm not concerned yet.

I remember when MacPhail said that last year:

"There's nothing on our radar screen from any of the medical staff where we're getting a heads-up to be concerned about them,"

I'm not overly concerned this time, but I'm not sweeping it under the rug yet either.

I don't know what you do for a living, but I'm guessing it's not playing baseball at the Major League level. I'm sure there are a lot of jobs that working with a stiff neck is pretty easy, if not easy, expected of you anyway because your boss doesn't have millions of dollars invested in you. I'm sure his time off is part stiffness, part organization telling him to relax and to not take a chance.

I'm not concerned yet.

On top of this, the chances of you aggravating your neck to the point that you would be out an extended period of time are quite slim I would imagine. I don't know, but I can't imagine your boss saying, "Oh you have a stiff neck? You should probably take a few days off to make sure you don't have to miss more time."

This thread got long enough that I finally decided to see what the issue was all about. The way I read this is that Roberts is one player who we cannot live without and if he is a little sore he sits as a veteran who has notheing left to prove. Honestly, if this was Jake Fox, Pie, etc I bet the 2nd day after the (-) X-ray report he would be back on the field. If Roberts was not known for his intense work ethic than some could suggest he was just taking it easy during the beggining of ST, but Roberts doesn't appear to be that player and I don't think Buck would tolerate it.

I bet that his treatment consist of some Moist heat, ultrasound, E-Stim, manual stretching, range of motion exercises, strengthening program and some type of spasm release techniques such as trigger point release, strain counterstrain, etc. He should be fine and in 2 weeks we will be panicking instead when one of our starting pitchers is noticing some shoulder soreness.

I'm not concerned yet.

At day one and day two I was not concerned, day three and I have moved into the concerned camp.

And as a professional bird counter my ability to crane my neck is of utmost importance! ;)

Under. Tomorrow.

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/

February 26, 2011

Roberts takes the field

Brian Roberts is on the field for today's workout, which is certainly a positive development. He underwent some ultrasound treatment on his sore neck after today's team photo session and was in full uniform to take part in early warmups.

Archived