Fixing Wieters Swing

Greg Pappas

So I've been forced to follow the past few games on the radio and gamecast due to work demands. It certainly looks like Wieters is hitting with more authority on paper, but I need to see it to know for sure. How has he looked? Improved? He clearly still has a lot of work to do, but if he looks like he is attacking the ball, then I would say that's a huge step in the right direction.

He seems to be squaring the ball up better. I thought his last at bat where he struck out was a great sign to be honest. He spoiled 3 or 4 good pitches to keep the at bat alive and then struck-out looking on nasty inside 2 seamer. I've read a couple of things that he was excellent at spoiling "pitcher's pitches" in the minors, so hopefully that is a good sign of things to come.

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He seems to be squaring the ball up better. I thought his last at bat where he struck out was a great sign to be honest. He spoiled 3 or 4 good pitches to keep the at bat alive and then struck-out looking on nasty inside 2 seamer. I've read a couple of things that he was excellent at spoiling "pitcher's pitches" in the minors, so hopefully that is a good sign of things to come.

Excellent. Very encouraging, indeed. Thank you, sir.

Another great at-bat by Wieters to clear the bases in the 5th. Another thing to note: 6-6 with RISP.

Maybe he has turned a corner.

He certainly looks locked in.

Tell you what impressed me about that AB... it was the pitch he fouled off before clearing the bases. He spoiled a good pitch, then nailed a bad pitch.

He certainly looks locked in.

Tell you what impressed me about that AB... it was the pitch he fouled off before clearing the bases. He spoiled a good pitch, then nailed a bad pitch.

I'm not getting my hopes up that he's turned any corner. He's got a long way to go to make me think he's a good hitter.

However the most impressive thing about that at bat is that he started 0-2 and worked it to 3-2 before clearing the bases. I was getting irate when he started off 0-2.

The last week or so I've sensed that Wieters really does have more confidence at the plate right now. I don't know if he's "turned a corner" or how good he will be this year, but I like what I'm seeing, not just in terms of the results but in terms of the swings he is getting.

I'm as glad as anyone that he's had two nice games in a row at the plate, but it's becoming clear that he probably does have "slider bat speed". I don't mean this to be critical or to be a downer in the thread, but I think that's the reality as of today. Pavano is the exact type of pitcher he should eat up, moreso when he's off, as Pavano was tonight. I'm certainly glad that MW was able to take advantage!

And how about his RISP numbers this year... lookin' good!

Archived