Fixing Wieters Swing

Greg Pappas

I hope someone starts a "Fixing Jones' Swing" thread next. That too could be a hoot over the course of a few weeks.

Here's a question about the future for Wieters: Understanding that the top of our lineup has a switch hitter and a lefty, and assuming that Wieters progression isn't just a short hot streak, to where in the lineup would you move him?

I always pictured him as a three hitter, but I think I'd do this to break it up a little more:

Roberts - Markakis - Lee - Vlad - Wieters - Jones - Scott - Reynolds - Hardy

Alternatively, we could move Lee down and Vlad/Wieters up a slot. I'm sure Buck has this all worked out in his head even though a move probably wouldn't happen without another few weeks of real production.

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 days is a long time in Major League Baseball.

No one is going to say "I want Wieters to continue to be mediocre." Everyone wants him to become half of what he was chalked up to be.

So are you saying Wieters bat speed has physically increased in the last 10 days? I have news for you, it hasn't.

I'm so confused. Ten days ago you said Wieters will never hit in the Majors because of his slow bat, he is what he is.

I freely admit to speaking out of frustration and being reactionary.

I don't think his bat is lightning quick but I also don't think that means he doesn't have a chance to be successful.

But as others have mentioned, we've seen him get red hot before. And as SG mentioned he needs to be hitting like this for a full year before we can anoint him as a stud.

I freely admit to speaking out of frustration and being reactionary.

I don't think his bat is lightning quick but I also don't think that means he doesn't have a chance to be successful.

But as others have mentioned, we've seen him get red hot before. And as SG mentioned he needs to be hitting like this for a full year before we can anoint him as a stud.

Well I can't continue to debate with you if you are going to be logical and rational. That's no fun for anyone lol.

So are you saying Wieters bat speed has physically increased in the last 10 days? I have news for you, it hasn't.

No no no, not at all (I can't say because honestly I haven't taken a look at it). But you must admit that his approach/stance is a bit different, now with the higher leg kick.

Regardless, I was trying to say that anyone would love to eat crow if it means Wieters becomes a better hitter.

No no no, not at all (I can't say because honestly I haven't taken a look at it). But you must admit that his approach/stance is a bit different, now with the higher leg kick.

Regardless, I was trying to say that anyone would love to eat crow if it means Wieters becomes a better hitter.

Absolutely he seems to have changed his approach a bit. As I have said in previous posts I'm no expert on the swing but I definitley notice the higher leg kick. All I know is he is squaring the ball up much better and just looks more confident. I really hope it continues.

He obviously has read the Hangout and got corrected here. I am thrilled that we figured out what was making him the biggest bust is draft history. Keep up the great work guys.

He obviously owes everything to JTrea.

I think we MIGHT be seeing Matt really start to work on his offense. Not to imply he did not do any work offensively in his time in the Majors, but I think the duties behind the plate where put first. This is probably the right path for someone like Matt in that those skills played on every pitch not just 4 or so PAs a game. A gold glove middle of the order catcher would be a lot of fun to watch.

Archived