Fixing Wieters Swing

Greg Pappas

Wieters breaks his streak with a nice double in the 5th against Burnett.

That's the strongest I've seen him swing the bat this season.

Pretty cut. Stayed tight and excellent job clearing his hips and turning on it. Awesome.

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Pretty cut. Stayed tight and excellent job clearing his hips and turning on it. Awesome.

So the question is this...With that one swing, we saw the guy we hoped he would be.

So, what does Pressly now do with that. Does he show Matt the tape of that swing and show him what he did correctly there?

So the question is this...One that one swing, we saw the guy we hoped he would be.

So, what does Pressly now do with that. Does he show Matt the tape of that swing and show him what he did correctly there?

Maybe I am wrong but he had almost no crouch at all, not that he has a big one to begin with.

So the question is this...One that one swing, we saw the guy we hoped he would be.

I wouldn't imagine so. I'm going through video tonight, but just that one swing shows that this isn't a physical issue. It isn't a case where Matt doesn't have the tools or ability to hit the ball hard. I threw out a random guess when RZ asked what my opinion was of Wieters -- I said my guess would be that there are some timing issues and maybe some approach issues. I'll stick with that for now.

As far as your question, remember that lots of hitting is simple muscle memory. Your training/routines help you (speaking generally) to put your body on auto-pilot. Your pitch/location ID triggers your actions. I haven't sat in on pro hitting sessions, but I'd assume the work would be the same.

Another excellent swing. Pulled the ball with authority twice tonight.

Now, he has done this before but hasn't shown it consistently...hopefully this will start something.

High leg kick as a timing mechanicism.

It's also easy to sit fastball when you're losing 7-0 and you're ahead in the count.

Not sayin', just sayin'.

It's also easy to sit fastball when you're losing 7-0 and you're ahead in the count.

Not sayin', just sayin'.

Wieters has always had a decent eye at the plate imo. He'll work the count fairly well. The problem was he always seemed hesitant to make contact, or when he swung, it was loopy or weak and he hit dying quails the other way.

Didn't have that problem at all tonight, which is awesome...........but it's just one game. Hopefully there is more to come.

Not sayin', just sayin'.

Even if that's the case, I still like the pulling of the ball with authority..but he has to build on it or it is just another isolated incident.

Archived