Greg Pappas

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Now a look from the left side.

Top is tonight, bottom is May 2010.

wietersswing2.gif

wietersswing1.gif

Thanks again for your awesome gifs. The thing I loved most about his double tonight was the fact that he left both hands on the bat all the way through the back swing! Finally!

It definitely looks like he's not sweeping the bat through the zone anymore that resulted in weak ground balls to second. He's taking a more direct approach to the ball and hitting it in front of the plate.

I think it's clicked for him. And I'm excited.

In the double gif you can clearly see his leg kick is higher and starts earlier. It seems like he starts his swing so early it's almost like he's "waiting" to release the bat when the ball crosses the plate. Seems like the result is a quicker swing. In the strikeout gif it seems like it took to long for the bat to cross the plate after his swing began.

The thing with Matt is he relies more on timing and quality contact to drive the ball than bat speed via upper body strength. My own swing is very similar to his. I have always had a high front foot step and have used that as a sort of timing mechanism.

The good thing is it allows for a very smooth, natural swing. The bad thing is, it's a long swing and I'm not facing major league pitching.

Archived