Fixing Wieters Swing

Greg Pappas

Nice piece by Jeff Z here. The one constant with Matt Wieters from every angle is how hard he works at getting better. I think that will be a driving factor in Wieters becoming one of the best catchers in the AL one day, perhaps soon.

Regardless, it's good to hear about working on some things and finding something in his stance, but I'll need to see some sustained success before getting too excited.

Last night, Wieters was fun to watch, no doubt. Let's hope there are a bunch more nights like this ahead.

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How much of a boon to this organization would it be if Wieters turns into the hitter we imagined? Watching him flail at the ball over the last couple of years has been so frustrating for me. I know what I saw in the minors. I know it was there and I know it was real.

I'll wait to see some consistency before deciding that his bat is legit, but I won't stray from the assessment I made of his potential at the time. That bat was and is very, very special.

Looks like whoever said he should go watch a highlight tape was right. Well, we'll see the results, but it appears that's what they did.

I'm sure he's been reviewing tape -- but probably more recent tape.

That would be me!!! LOL

But in all seriousness, why does this happen to players so often?

Wieters talked about this being where he is most comfortable...So, how did he not feel the "discomfort"? How did he get away from what is most comfortable?

This aspect of sports has always puzzled me.

That would be me!!! LOL

Wieters talked about this being where he is most comfortable...So, how did he not feel the "discomfort"? How did he get away from what is most comfortable?

I'm not a development guy. There is so much that goes on at the highest level that I wouldn't pretend to have any enlightening answers. I do think hitters are generally at their best when they are on auto-pilot, and that you get to auto-pilot through repetition. Maybe something like what you are describing is simply getting caught between the beginning of adjustments and the auto-pilot. If you start tweaking, but haven't been able to fuly implement those tweaks, then each subsequent tweak is going to have the potential to push you further away from where you want to ultimately be.

At the same time, maybe with someone like Wieters the development staff still feels like those adjustments will need to be made, but they want to hit the reset button and say, "Go back to what you were doing when you raked your way through the minors and we'll go from there."

I don't know the answer -- it would be a fascinating discussion to have with someone high up on the development side.

That would be me!!! LOL

Cal Ripken and Nick Markakis say hello. Changing stances, moving hands to a different position, altering strides and leg kicks. Wieters seems like he may be a guy just like these 2 who will constantly tweak things throughout his career.

I'm not a development guy. There is so much that goes on at the highest level that I wouldn't pretend to have any enlightening answers. I do think hitters are generally at their best when they are on auto-pilot, and that you get to auto-pilot through repetition. Maybe something like what you are describing is simply getting caught between the beginning of adjustments and the auto-pilot. If you start tweaking, but haven't been able to fuly implement those tweaks, then each subsequent tweak is going to have the potential to push you further away from where you want to ultimately be.

At the same time, maybe with someone like Wieters the development staff still feels like those adjustments will need to be made, but they want to hit the reset button and say, "Go back to what you were doing when you raked your way through the minors and we'll go from there."

I don't know the answer -- it would be a fascinating discussion to have with someone high up on the development side.

I believe it was Tony who made mention of this...Its almost as if the Orioles haven't given Wieters any instruction on the offensive side. That they just feel it will come and not to worry about it.

Almost like they spend their time exclusively with his defense, which they have done a great job with.

Its almost as if they just feel a lightbulb will come on and to just ignore the lack of production for now.

Cal Ripken and Nick Markakis say hello. Changing stances, moving hands to a different position, altering strides and leg kicks. Wieters seems like he may be a guy just like these 2 who will constantly tweak things throughout his career.

Yea I know...The problem with both of them is they would go to what works, move away from it and get back into the same bad habits.

For example, Nick is usually a better hitter with his hands lower...Yet, he has them high a lot of the time, like he does now.

Re: stance mechanics.

Moving his legs closer together and not as spread out, maybe Wieters gets a better load on his back leg and can use that to power his swing through the zone. Getting his lower body more involved is a much better approach for him, as he does not appear to have tremendous upper body strength.

Re: stance mechanics.

Moving his legs closer together and not as spread out, maybe Wieters gets a better load on his back leg and can use that to power his swing through the zone. Getting his lower body more involved is a much better approach for him, as he does not appear to have tremendous upper body strength.

Again, I'm not a development guy. But upperbody strength isn't generally where power comes from in a swing. From what I understand, once you are talking about tweaking top notch athletes at the plate, the width in your stance is most important for timing and facilitating the most efficient implementation of the core into the swing.

That was a beautiful homer.

So I've been forced to follow the past few games on the radio and gamecast due to work demands. It certainly looks like Wieters is hitting with more authority on paper, but I need to see it to know for sure. How has he looked? Improved? He clearly still has a lot of work to do, but if he looks like he is attacking the ball, then I would say that's a huge step in the right direction.

Archived