Machado doing what he needs to do to get a promotion?

Gurgi

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Great point. There is no hurry to promote Machado to Frederick since he's only 18-years old and there's nothing wrong with letting him get comfortable and put up some big numbers with the Shorebirds. Why not let him enjoy his first year, play in the All-Star game in his home ballpark, while he learns how to go through an entire minor league season? I'm not saying they can't move him up in the second half of the season if pitchers have stopped pitching to him, I just don't think there is any rush. Even if he starts next season at Frederick he's going to be one of the youngest guys in the league and he could earn a promotion to Bowie by mid-season next year. That would make him 20-years old and on the cusp of being in the major leagues by 2013. There's no hurry here. The only concern I would have would be if pitchers just stop throwing to him and he starts chasing bad pitches because he gets impatient. At that point you probably have to move him up but I like the idea of not moving him until at least the All-star game and even then I'd have no problems with him staying all year in Delmarva.

Tony, I agree that there is no hurry...OTOH, if he is that good, then why not push him along quickly?

He wouldn't be the first 20 y/o in the majors.

If he isn't being challenged, then you have to move him along to the next level.

Great point. There is no hurry to promote Machado to Frederick since he's only 18-years old and there's nothing wrong with letting him get comfortable and put up some big numbers with the Shorebirds. Why not let him enjoy his first year, play in the All-Star game in his home ballpark, while he learns how to go through an entire minor league season? I'm not saying they can't move him up in the second half of the season if pitchers have stopped pitching to him, I just don't think there is any rush. Even if he starts next season at Frederick he's going to be one of the youngest guys in the league and he could earn a promotion to Bowie by mid-season next year. That would make him 20-years old and on the cusp of being in the major leagues by 2013. There's no hurry here. The only concern I would have would be if pitchers just stop throwing to him and he starts chasing bad pitches because he gets impatient. At that point you probably have to move him up but I like the idea of not moving him until at least the All-star game and even then I'd have no problems with him staying all year in Delmarva.

This pretty much sums it up. I agree completely. Great post.

Let's let MM's performance dictate whether he deserves a promotion or not and how far he can go. If he's a special talent, then let's get him to the majors as soon as he's ready and, frankly, none of us know if that will be 2012, 2013 or 2014 or some other time. His current production suggests the Sally League is of little challenge. He is killing it - and is on his way to the most productive Os hitting seasons in a long time - possibly ever. Still, we've not read much about his defense and whether there is a lot of work to do there or not and whether that would stall a promotion earned by the bat.

As a comparison, other recent promotions to top Os hitting prospects:

- Snyder - promoted in age 22 season from Bowie to Norfolk after 228 PAs in 58 games with 30 xbh, 27 BBs, 45 Ks; OBP 421; OPS 1.018

- Wieters - promoted in age 22 season from Frederick to Bowie after 273 PAs in 69 games with 23 xbh, 44 BBs, 47 Ks; OBP 448; OPS 1.024

- Markakis - promoted in age 21 season from Frederick to Bowie after 398 PAs in 91 games with 38 xbh; 43 BBs, 65 Ks; OBP 379; OPS 859

As a comparison to the top hitters in Baseball America's Top 10 Sally League prospects:

- Julio Teheran was promoted in mid-May; otherwise, he would have been the top prospect.

- Singleton - BA #1 - all season 104 games in Sally League - 41 xbh, 62 BBs, 74 xbh; 393 obp, 872 OPS

- Arenado - BA 2 - all season in Sally - 392 PAs; 54 xbh, 19 BBs, 52 Ks; 338 obp, 858 OPS

- Villar - BA 8 - 100 games in Sally before promotion to Carolina League for last 30 games; SS prospect with poor hitting results - 100+ Ks; 690 OPS - weak hitter

- Fuents - BA 9 - all 104 games in Sally - OFer 25 xbh, 25 BBs; 87 Ks; 705 OPS

Entering tonight, Machado has played in 23 games covering 104 PAs and has 13 xbh, 18 BBs and 12 Ks; 462 OBP and 1.102 OPS. Machado is showing better plate discipline and a higher OBP and OPS than anyone above. Machado's prospect status, if something anywhere close to this pace is maintained, is simply most bright.

While there is precedent for leaving a young prospect in the Sally League all year based on treatment by other organizations of their top guys, it would appear that the Sally League is of little challenge to Machado. While some argue for an entire year of adjusting to the minor league grind and the need to have MM experience success, IMO this year would an enormous waste from a competitive perspective if he was left in DelMarva for the year. Assuming a continuation of dominating stats, a promotion around 65 games and 250 PAs would border on overdue.

FWIW, I expect MM to continue posting stellar numbers at Frederick with debate centering on whether he should get to Bowie before the end of the year. Last year, only four hitters qualified in the Carolina League in at-bats to have an OPS above 850. I believe MM will clear that bar.

There is no hurry to promote Machado to Frederick since he's only 18-years old and there's nothing wrong with letting him get comfortable and put up some big numbers with the Shorebirds. Why not let him enjoy his first year, play in the All-Star game in his home ballpark, while he learns how to go through an entire minor league season? I'm not saying they can't move him up in the second half of the season if pitchers have stopped pitching to him, I just don't think there is any rush. Even if he starts next season at Frederick he's going to be one of the youngest guys in the league and he could earn a promotion to Bowie by mid-season next year. That would make him 20-years old and on the cusp of being in the major leagues by 2013. There's no hurry here. The only concern I would have would be if pitchers just stop throwing to him and he starts chasing bad pitches because he gets impatient. At that point you probably have to move him up but I like the idea of not moving him until at least the All-star game and even then I'd have no problems with him staying all year in Delmarva.

I don't have any problem with waiting until the All-Star break to promote Machado. However, if he is hitting at anywhere near the level he is now, he needs to be moved then regardless of whether the Sally League pitchers are pitching to him or not. The more I think about this, the more I believe that you don't hold back the really special talents. I'd really like to see him start 2012 at Bowie, and to do that, he needs to play the second half in Frederick, assuming his high level of play continues and the move is warranted.

I realize there's no need to rush him, but the way he's abusing the Sally League has to make you wonder what he could do right now. After all, the guy he's most commonly (unfairly) compared to was in the majors at 18. And it's not like that's completely unheard of even either - Starlin Castro was with the Cubs at 20 and I'd say he's more than held his own so far...

No one is saying Machado can't be in the majors at 20-years old, all I'm saying is that he should be allowed to stay at Delmarva through the All-star game and then go from there. Right now Manny is learning how to deal with being on the road, playing every day, and the increased media attention he's receiving due to his hot start. Delmarva's PR Director Bret Lasky says no matter who does what during a game, most media outlets want to talk to Manny. He's the story each night whether he goes 4-for-4 or 0-for-4 so it's something he has to learn how to handle.

He, Schoop and Givens have a good relationship and they are building a bond as well. It might be nice for Manny to be allowed to learn how to be part of a team and not just the guy who gets moved up as soon as he gets in a hot streak. Evyerone knows Manny is the top prospect, but from talking with his manager Ryan Minor this weekend, one of the special things about Manny is that he's very popular with his teammates because he's just one of the guys, not the superstar.

Taking all those things into consideration, I like the idea of keeping Machado in Delmarva at least until the All-star break and then it can be evaluated whether or not a promotion is what's best for his development.

He, Schoop and Givens have a good relationship and they are building a bond as well.

A little off-topic, but what's up with Givens? He's been atrocious so far (.167/.245/.190). That's a real disappointment.

No one is saying Machado can't be in the majors at 20-years old, all I'm saying is that he should be allowed to stay at Delmarva through the All-star game and then go from there. Right now Manny is learning how to deal with being on the road, playing every day, and the increased media attention he's receiving due to his hot start. Delmarva's PR Director Bret Lasky says no matter who does what during a game, most media outlets want to talk to Manny. He's the story each night whether he goes 4-for-4 or 0-for-4 so it's something he has to learn how to handle.

He, Schoop and Givens have a good relationship and they are building a bond as well. It might be nice for Manny to be allowed to learn how to be part of a team and not just the guy who gets moved up as soon as he gets in a hot streak. Evyerone knows Manny is the top prospect, but from talking with his manager Ryan Minor this weekend, one of the special things about Manny is that he's very popular with his teammates because he's just one of the guys, not the superstar.

Taking all those things into consideration, I like the idea of keeping Machado in Delmarva at least until the All-star break and then it can be evaluated whether or not a promotion is what's best for his development.

I think what you're essentially saying is that "development' isn't necessarily always going to be limited to what happens on the field, and I agree with that sentiment. There's zero harm in letting him marinate for a few months.

I was just going to ask if that's where this is headed. Obviously, you want to let him finish this season at IF, but if he continues this poorly P might not be a bad idea.

I'll be the first to say I was swayed by positive reports from Tony and then in the BA Handbook -- both sources having more recent looks at him than had I. And, of course, this is still a really small sample size as far as the 2011 season is concerned. But my thoughts at draft time were that he was a better fit on the mound, and I'd have no issue with BAL shifting him back there. But if they do that it should be because they are reassessing his long term potential, and not because he is struggling statistically through the first month.

I'll be the first to say I was swayed by positive reports from Tony and then in the BA Handbook -- both sources having more recent looks at him than had I. And, of course, this is still a really small sample size as far as the 2011 season is concerned. But my thoughts at draft time were that he was a better fit on the mound, and I'd have no issue with BAL shifting him back there. But if they do that it should be because they are reassessing his long term potential, and not because he is struggling statistically through the first month.

He's likely a reliever on the mound, no?

Archived