We're waiting on ARod

bigbird

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply
WADR, I don't see what difference that makes. If the decision is to wait on ARod then you're looking at a wait several weeks long when all the GMs are back home from Disney World with their cute little Mickey hats with the mouse ears.

Hopefully, the list of potential suitors for ARod gets pared down well before he actually signs. As teams drop off, they can join the Miggi sale.

The GM meetings arent over yet
Are you being coy. or are you sticking with you're earlier predition. My question is: if Tejada was being traded soon, it was to a team like the Cubs or the Philllies who needed a SS/3B and weren't interesed in the ARod sweepstakes. What's changed in terms of their interest and why.?

I think part of the problem is that they think all the teams that are going after A-Rod will have interest in Tejada, which I don't think is the case at all. They are thinking that after A-Rod is off the market Tejada will be the next best thing available.

IMO, Tejada does have to be traded -- and soon. Who knows what could happen in an off-season? Miggy could be carrying venison up some stairs and lose his balance, or have to quickly move household items to escape in impending wildfire. If we're going to move 'im, move 'im now.

I agree with Mackus (and other who have voiced the same opinion). Waiting for A-Rod and Boras to get off their greedy behinds smacks of "waiting for the market to set." I'm friggin' tired of that crap. Let's be pro-active for a change!!

Witchy

In this case, being pro-active would require reducing the asking price on Tejada to a level that another team can't refuse.

That's what MacPhail would have to do to get a team that sees Tejada as the "Plan B" to ARod to drop out of the ARod sweepstakes and just go with "Plan B" straight away.

Is that what you'd like to see happen?

Youd have to wonder teams arent sure about Tejada and his name being tied to the Mitchell Report.

According to Joel Sherman's NY Post column yesterday, a number of MLB execs said that's exactly what's going on.

Plus the A-Rod delay. They're both real factors.

As for the sources, I'm sure the Orioles would love to move quickly. The other teams have to agree too, though.

Why does everyone think the ARod negotiations are going to be dragged out? My guess is that he'll be signed, sealed and delivered to his next team by December 6th, 2007. Seems to me that Boras' biggest signings occur at the winter meetings. I can't think of why ARod's situation would be any different.

Well, just looking at that agent's history with that same player.....

January 26, 2001: Signed as a Free Agent with the Texas Rangers.

February 16, 2004: Traded by the Texas Rangers with cash to the New York Yankees

Source

That's approximately a month-and-a-half and two-and-a-half months respectively after the winter meetings (for those of you scoring at home).

Witchy

I think part of the problem is that they think all the teams that are going after A-Rod will have interest in Tejada, which I don't think is the case at all. They are thinking that after A-Rod is off the market Tejada will be the next best thing available.

Teams that would use Tejada at 3B do indeed have a lot of other options.

The SS alternatives are significantly thinner.

I think this news is just about equally as disappointing as any previous news was encouraging.

Waiting for ARod to settle sounds way too much like the way things have been done the last 10 years. Who cares if the market isn't settled yet, go out and set the market. Get what you think is a good return for Tejada and be done with it.

These trades don't have to be done immediately, but they definitely should be done by the end of the Winter Meetings. I don't see ARod signing before then, although its likely his "demands" could be concrete enough by then to know who are legit suitors and who will focus on Tejada.

Exactly, but what this basically means is there isn't much interest/value being offered for Tejada right now.

Perhaps waiting for the Arod situation to "settle" doesn't necessarily mean "signed" but means as the potential suitors drop based on the sticker shock. That would make some sense I guess.

I'm not so concerned about the ARod deal holding things up because I expect a very small crowd at the ARod Mart. I'm more concerned about M Cabrera being shopped, and how quickly and where Lowell signs since it seems a number of our best suitors are looking at Miggy for 3rd base.

Archived