12th Round - Jason Coats - OF -Texas Christian University

To each is own, but when I was 21-year old, I did what I wanted to do, not what my parents wanted me to do.

I know my parents' wishes were pretty instrumental in my decision to stay in school and pass up pro ball. That, and the fact that I hit about .175 as a 7th grader in Little League. ;)

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No, I didn't ask how much their offer was but Joe said it had nothing to do with the money, he was fine with the money, this was about his mother wanting him to finish college. I guess not every 21-year old is able to make up his own mind, but apparently he wanted to play, but differed to his mother. To each is own, but when I was 21-year old, I did what I wanted to do, not what my parents wanted me to do. I think that turned the Orioles off a bit, especially after they had reached a deal only to be told that his mother nixed it because she wanted him to go back to college.

As a 22-year old senior sign, he better have a fantastic season to get as much money as he was probably offered. Joe really liked his bat as well, so I imagine he was offered a nice chunk of change.

I love his bat as well -- would have put in for 2nd Rd money. I think he gets it, or close, if he has a strong year. Can't repeat 2010, though.

I love his bat as well -- would have put in for 2nd Rd money. I think he gets it, or close, if he has a strong year. Can't repeat 2010, though.

I don't know, maybe. I don't know the numbers, but how many seniors were drafted in the first two rounds of the draft over the last five years. I bet it's not too many. Even if he's drafted in the 2nd round due to his bat, I bet he'll be lucky to get slot. He'll have absolutely no leverage at all. It'll be interesting to see how it goes next year.

I don't know, maybe. I don't know the numbers, but how many seniors were drafted in the first two rounds of the draft over the last five years. I bet it's not too many. Even if he's drafted in the 2nd round due to his bat, I bet he'll be lucky to get slot. He'll have absolutely no leverage at all. It'll be interesting to see how it goes next year.

Agree. But, to be fair, there aren't many early round quality seniors in general. So it's not really fair to compare him to a typical 11-30 Rd junior that is selected as kind of an afterthought. My guess would be that most scouting departments thought he'd neglect to sign if he dropped out of the first three rounds. Maybe I'm way off. In any event, he'll need to produce if he wants to get drafted in the first ten rounds in 2012. He had about as impressive a summer as you can have last year and negated a lot of it with his spring.

There may have been a change of heart from the Coats side but by that point, the Orioles had decided to move on.

I'm trying to understand in what world it would make sense to move on if the kid changed his mind. Is it a bad precedent to set? I suppose it's possible the O's said we'll offer you x, but that money will go to someone else if you don't take it and the offer will be rescinded. In that case they'd be caving on their word in negotiations and setting a bad precedent.

I'm torn on this. If the kid would take what we offered him, we should have let him. Maybe I'm off base here.

• 4 years later...
  • 7 months later...
Rays claimed OF Jason Coats off waivers from the White Sox.
Coats was designated for assignment on January 6. The 26-year-old outfielder had his fair share of success at Triple-A Charlotte last season -- posting a .330/.394/.519 triple-slash -- but those results did not transfer over to the big-league club when he was given the opportunity. In 50 at-bats with the Sox this past season, Coats managed just a .200/.298/.340 batting line.

Archived