12th Round - Jason Coats - OF -Texas Christian University

Heard from semi-reliable source that Baltimore offered around $215K to Coats and he is turning it down to go back to school. Obviously still two weeks to get this done, but thought I'd pass it along.

I'd go higher for Coats, and maybe Baltimore ultimately does.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Heard from semi-reliable source that Baltimore offered around $215K to Coats and he is turning it down to go back to school. Obviously still two weeks to get this done, but thought I'd pass it along.

I'd go higher for Coats, and maybe Baltimore ultimately does.

There has been a lot of strange back and forth on this. BAL thought they were close at one point. Now Coats has been pulled from the Cape with some sort of injury (I'm unclear on what). It's not happening IMO. Too many complications.

Well, reading the article, the door has not completely been closed on either. Its pretty darn close to being closed. I am not optimistic for either of them signing, but stranger things have happened,

Meanwhile, Jordan did confirm today that 12th-round pick Jason Coats, an outfielder out of TCU, is fully expected to go back to college and almost certainly will not sign with the Orioles.

It also appears the Orioles will not sign K.J. Hockaday, their 14th-round pick out of John Carroll High in Bel Air. He appears headed to the University of Maryland, although Jordan expects to see him play on his summer team again and has not completely ruled out an agreement here, but it seems like a long shot.

Another kid who thinks a little too highly of himself. He obviously can go back and have a better year, but it better be significantly better because with his defensive limitations, he's not going to get a ton of money as a senior sign. It was worth a shot in the 12th round, but to me, he's gambling away some nice money on a chance that he will have a monster year that will up his value, a value that takes a serious hit as a senior sign.

Another kid who thinks a little too highly of himself. He obviously can go back and have a better year, but it better be significantly better because with his defensive limitations, he's not going to get a ton of money as a senior sign. It was worth a shot in the 12th round, but to me, he's gambling away some nice money on a chance that he will have a monster year that will up his value, a value that takes a serious hit as a senior sign.

Or, maybe he is enjoying college and wants to get his degree, rather than postponing it. $215 k is a very nice chunk of change, but it's not life-changing money. As a 12th round overslotter, his odds of making it to the majors are what -- 10 or 20 percent? He definitely risks losing some or all of that bonus by going back to school, but in his situation there may be benefit to getting his diploma at age 22 in case the baseball thing doesn't work out.

Or, maybe he is enjoying college and wants to get his degree, rather than postponing it. $215 k is a very nice chunk of change, but it's not life-changing money. As a 12th round overslotter, his odds of making it to the majors are what -- 10 or 20 percent? He definitely risks losing some or all of that bonus by going back to school, but in his situation there may be benefit to getting his diploma at age 22 in case the baseball thing doesn't work out.

Don't buy the argument about school. First off, $212 K will certainly buy his last year of school once he's done with baseball. Secondly, he's another kid who had an agreement then changed his mind and wanted more money. It comes down to the fact that these kids play this system like gambling. They are gambling $212K that they can turn it into more by going back for their senior year. The problem is, they lose just about all leverage as a senior sign and they still need to better their previous year. I've yet to see a college junior that the Orioles drafted in the first 15 rounds, go back to school and end up with more money after their senior year. The Orioles appear to be offering 4th-5th round money. He's going to have to have a pretty big year as defensively limited senior outfielder to get more than $212K. More power to the kid if he willing to risk it, but I don't blame the Orioles for holding fast here. There's some pop in the pop, but there's also some swing and miss and he's not worth more than the 4th-5th round tender.

I would think this part is telegraphed prior to the draft if it is in fact the case and a deal breaker. I think Tony is dead on with his assessment.

Maybe this is a good thing. If he has so many holes in his abilities then take the 200K and use it to offer to one of the other players who isn't signed in the higher rounds who has less holes. I am tired of quantity. Lets get the quality players and if you can get quantity later on the cheap then fine. If he doesn't want to play then move on and finally sign some of these other players.

not signing is a huge gamble. Look what happened to rookie money in the NFL! This was the last draft under the current CBA and you can expect big changes in the slot money next year. And slot could become either take ot or leave it under the new agreement, not a recommendation from the MLB office

not signing is a huge gamble. Look what happened to rookie money in the NFL! This was the last draft under the current CBA and you can expect big changes in the slot money next year. And slot could become either take ot or leave it under the new agreement, not a recommendation from the MLB office

And they have HGH blood testing. Look out Players Union.

Archived