It's time for Andy to get "MacPhailed"

JTrea81

This thread is a blur to me, but I'm picking up that we've gone on a tangent toward the imbalances of competing in the AL East. Well if I had my choice,

I don't want (but could live with):

• realignment,
  • more teams in the playoffs.

I do want:

• Much more of a balanced schedule compared to the rest of the AL,
  • Some kind of harder soft cap on 25-man payroll,
  • Dramatic improvement or perhaps elimination of the FA compensation rules,
  • Harder slotting on the Rule 4 draft and increased oversight of the international market.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To get this thread back on track, here's the resume of John Hart:

Orioles:

Managed in the Orioles minor league system for 6 years starting in 1982.

Third base coach for the O's in 1988

Indians:

Joined the Cleveland Indians in 1989 as a special assignment scout but took over as manager for the last 19 games of the season.

Served as Director of Baseball Operations for two years (1990-1991)

Succeeded Hank Peters as GM and Exec VP of the Indians in September 1991 and the Indians went 870-681 under his tenure. The Indians won 6 of 9 AL Central titles and went to the WS in 1995 and 1997.

Rangers:

Joined the Rangers as GM after stepping down as GM of the Indians in 2001.

Contract extended in 2004 another 2 years with an annual mutual option to extend the contract each year thereafter. Once the contract was terminated by either side, Hart was to become senior advisor to the owner for 5 years.

Hart stepped down in 2005, his advisor contract was extended three years on the condition he didn't seek another GM position and he is under contract to the Rangers owner until 2013.

Hicks is no longer owner however, so I'm not sure the relationship with the Ryan/Greenberg group is the same. I'm sure Hart would be able to get out of that contract.

To get this thread back on the track, here's the resume of John Hart:

Orioles:

Indians:

Joined the Cleveland Indians in 1989 as a special assignment scout but took over as manager for the last 19 games of the season.

Served as Director of Basebal Operations for two years (1990-1991)

Succeeded Hank Peters as GM and Exec VP of the Indians in September 1991 and the Indians went 870-681 under his tenure. The Indians won 6 of 9 AL Central titles and went to the WS in 1995 and 1997.

Rangers:

Joined the Rangers after stepping down as GM of the Indians in 2001.

Contract extended in 2004 another 2 years with an annual mutual option to extend the contract each year thereafter. Once the contract was terminated by either side, Hart was to become senior advisor to the owner for 5 years.

Hart stepped down in 2005, his advisor contract was extended three years on the condition he didn't seek another GM position and he is under contract to the Rangers owner until 2013.

Hicks is no longer owner however, so I'm not sure the relationship with the Ryan/Greenberg group is the same. I'm sure Hart would be able to get out of that contract.

He is AM part 2. A lifer, knows the game, etc...

The only hope is he has some better ideas and is more aggressive and creative...of course, the owner also has to let him be those things, if he even is those things.

He is a different voice and someone new, so I wouldn't be opposed to it but its a lazy move, one that isn't likely to work out and its certainly not a move that should be something you pound on the desk for.

To get this thread back on the track, here's the resume of John Hart:

Orioles:

Indians:

Served as Director of Basebal Operations for two years (1990-1991)

Rangers:

Joined the Rangers after stepping down as GM of the Indians in 2001.

I smell a new obsession. ;)

I read these two words and it hit me that they describe the organization to a T. Take the recent draft, after Bundy they did they bare minimum they possibly could. They do the bare minimum in the international market. They do the bare minimum in scouting. There obvious goal is merely a .500 record (again I would say that is a bare minimum goal). They do the bare minimum in terms of marketing the team and getting people to come to the park (as Tony correctly points out). They sign middling free agents way past their prime because they think the average fan isn't intelligent enough to realize they are washed up and will be like, "hey cool we got Vlad". Every single facet of this club is minimum requirement and half ass.

I really like the way you put this.

The O's do the bare minimum across the board. The result is predictable.

He is AM part 2. A lifer, knows the game, etc...

The only hope is he has some better ideas and is more aggressive and creative...of course, the owner also has to let him be those things, if he even is those things.

He is a different voice and someone new, so I wouldn't be opposed to it but its a lazy move, one that isn't likely to work out and its certainly not a move that should be something you pound on the desk for.

Hart was certainly aggressive in Cleveland and Texas.

He wasn't afraid to give out the big money deals as evidenced by Alex Rodriguez's deal.

He wasn't afraid to give out the big money deals as evidenced by Alex Rodriguez's deal.

Tom Hicks gave out that deal, not Hart.

Drungo outlined for you some of things Hart did...awful moves. You, of course, ignored that.

I am not saying its a poor move but you are likely going to be very wrong about things improving with him around.

I was 100% on board with your Tex obsession.

I completely understood your AGon obsession.

I was luke warm on Fielder but am starting to come around.

But if John Friggin Hart is your latest obsession, I can guaran-dam-tee I will stay out of those threads.

Archived