Dbacks looking for a starter and reliever

Sports Guy

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I wonder if Stephen Drew's ankle injury tonight might change Arizona's plans?

It looked pretty bad and he's likely to need surgery to fix it.

Do they still want to try to go for it this year, even though he's likely out for the season, if he needs surgery?

Too bad we promised not to trade Hardy. A Guts Hardy package might have gotten us Skaggs and Goldschmidt.

Goldschmidt isn't even ranked in Law's midseason top 50 or listed in his honorable mentions so I'm not sure that it should be assumed he's so untouchable like one poster thinks.

Untouchable can be based on how the team values him as well, but I can't believe that he would be the lead player/prospect in a Kershaw package. If he was in my system and I need a solid starting pitcher for a playoff run and he was the only guy I had to deal from my system then I would make it. If we can talk about Alfonso and Boxberger being guy's we could obtain for Guthrie then I see no reason why another 60-100 prospect wouldn't be considered in a straight up deal.

At this point I would take guys that are further away from the big leagues with big potential than a single guy who is higher up with big potential. Give me three of those quality youngsters and let's see how they progress. I suppose that is the wrong way to look at it since we have problems developing talent. Oh nevermind, give me the AA/AAA guys as they have been developed in some other organization.

Too bad we promised not to trade Hardy. A Guts Hardy package might have gotten us Skaggs and Goldschmidt.

Bad decision not to trade Hardy. I really like him, but the risk/reward aspect of extending Hardy is directly ties to us competing in the next 2-3 year IMO. The Orioles can always move him, but I will quickly pass judgement if they move him in a poor market for a return that was likely less than what they could have received this year or he gets hurt. If he plays for 3 consecutive losing teams and then walk with no compensation, then it will be a huge failure from the Orioles. The kind of failure I have become accustomed to.

Philly's need a top RP and a RH bat. Maybe a SP, so maybe Guts and Koji could get us Singleton, but not likely. AJ for Singleton and their best ML SP.

The article said the cost for San Diego set up man Mike Adams might be Singleton. Also this kid is far from the majors 2-3 years. I prefer a guy like Goldschmidt who could be hear as soon as this or next year.

I would prefer Goldschmidt to Alonso.
Yea, I might as well.

The thing that I like about Goldschmidt is that despite all the K's, he hits for a high average. That is a good sign that he isn't someone who is overmatched.

Also, I believe the AA league he is in this year is a pitchers league and he is destroying it.

Singleton might be undervalued right now. We should definitely kick those tires. Personally, I'd rather Singleton over Goldschmidt and Alonso.

Of the three, I guess Alonso is the one I'd like the least, but his probability is higher so I think they're values are actually relatively similar.

Someone in the MLB Trade Rumors chat that went off last asked about Goldshmitt for Guthrie. The response was the deal seemed fair, but that Arizona was looking for something cheaper.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/07/mlbtr-live-chat-2.html#morechat link

Comment From Rob

2:48 Is Guthrie enough to get Goldschmidt?

2:48That seems like a pretty reasonable swap to me, but the D'Backs might just aim lower.

Someone in the MLB Trade Rumors chat that went off last asked about Goldshmitt for Guthrie. The response was the deal seemed fair, but that Arizona was looking for something cheaper.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/07/mlbtr-live-chat-2.html#morechat link

Yea, i asked that question...Referred to that in this thread.

As for Singleton, the Phillies need a cheap reliever...That's why they like Adams.

I would be offering JJ for him if I were the Orioles.

The Orioles may indeed like and want Goldschmidt but they aren't dealing Guthrie unless they get a pitcher back.

So, if you were to deal Guthrie, Koji and say 2 million to Zona, what else should we be asking for, knowing that the Orioles will want a ML ready pitcher to come back in the deal to take the innings we lose with Guthrie?

Of course, the Orioles could make some seperate deal and get Millwood back or something like that but I am not sure they are savvy enough to do that.

Archived