Zreibec: Orioles close to trading Koji to RANGERS

SilentJames

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We can only hope they have learned the lesson there. The fact that something like 7 of our top 15 draft choices were pitchers who projected to be "back of the rotation or relievers" by most experts leads me to believe that the light bulb may finally have gone on, and that we are going to try to continue to do what worked with David Hernandez and Berken, and from now on develop most of our bullpen from our system from the guys who can't cut it as starters due to not having enough pitches, durability, etc.

Hey, I can dream, can't I?

I would be shocked if they still want to turn Klein into a starter after he (hopefully) recovers from his injury.

How many guys that can't be at least back end starters start their careers 23-13? I know wins aren't the best way to measure a pitcher, but you usually have to be at least decent to have that type of record.

That's true, as long as you take into account that he got over five runs a game in support from the Rangers, where here he'll get at least a full run less right now.

He also has PO and WS experiance which no one on the Orioles have except coaches.

Don't forget Mark Reynolds (2007 Arizona), Derrek Lee (2003 Florida, 2007 Cubs, 2010 Atlanta), Cesar Izturis (2004 Los Angeles), JJ Hardy (2008 Milwaukee, 2010 Minnesota), Luke Scott (2005 Houston), Vlad (2004-2010 minus 2006), Felix Pie (2007-2008 Cubs), Clay Rapada (2010 Rangers), and Kevin Gregg (2004-2005 Angels). They all have playoff experience. Lee, Vlad, and Rapada all have WS experience.

That's true, as long as you take into account that he got over five runs a game in support from the Rangers, where here he'll get at least a full run less right now.

You make a good point and the one that I can think of is Rick Helling. Still some cause for hope

In what world was Koji "pretty terrible" last year?

Well in fairness I was thinking 2009, but that's almost as bad that I barely noticed him last year. A RP pitching 44 IP out of roughly 1450IP for the season really means nothing in the big picture. Especially when it's for a team in the bottom 5 of all of baseball. We could have Steve Johnson, or Bergy, or Tillman, or whoever pitch 44 IP and I promise you the difference between that and Koji won't be as important as having Davis, Hunter and $2m for the next 3-4 seasons.

Don't forget Mark Reynolds (2007 Arizona), Derrek Lee (2003 Florida, 2007 Cubs, 2010 Atlanta), Cesar Izturis (2004 Los Angeles), JJ Hardy (2008 Milwaukee, 2010 Minnesota), Luke Scott (2005 Houston), Vlad (2004-2010 minus 2006), Felix Pie (2007-2008 Cubs), Clay Rapada (2010 Rangers), and Kevin Gregg (2004-2005 Angels). They all have playoff experience. Lee, Vlad, and Rapada all have WS experience.

Yep. I forgot. Actually I forgot quite a bit. :)

That's a very poor way to look at it.

Total innings:

2007 (drafted) - 17.2

2008 - 174

2009 - 183

2010 - 154 2/3

2011 - 46

Your right. I realized that mistake and never corrected it. I would happily take 183 innings at this point. Im skeptical he can be a reliable starter for us though.

This is not the direction I would have pursued in return for Koji. I think it's a fine fair value deal. A couple of potentially useful and cheap pieces. But, I guess, where is the long-term strategy?

Yes, this seems to be the crux. It's not that the return is bad, it's just that we're so far from competitive that this isn't the return that we should be looking for. We should be looking for the highest upside talent that we can acquire, no matter how far from the majors. There's no way that we are going to rebuild this trainwreck into a competitive team for next year, so why apply bandaid fixes?

I see Koji for Hunter as a good deal for the O's. Trading a reliever for a starter is normally a good deal. And trading a 36 year old for a 25 year old is the kind of trade the O's need to make.

I see the acquisition of Davis as a money saver for the O's. It allows the O's to trade Lee to Pittsburgh and save $4M. I think the odds are against Davis being a long term solution because the has over 800 at bats with a OBP that is around 300 and sinking.

The 2M that the O's sent with Koji is to offset his $4M salary next year IMO. The Rangers are at risk that Koji will be able to perform in the Texas heat.

Hunters career high innings at all levels is 128. Il'l be shocked if he became a valuable starter for us. Spot starter I guess, but those arent too valuable.

That's his major league high.

08, minors & majors combined: 174.2 INN

09, minors & majors combined: 183 INN

10, minors & majors combined: 154.2 INN

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/h/hunteto02.shtml

Archived