Zreibec: Orioles close to trading Koji to RANGERS

SilentJames

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Interesting comparison, but Duncan never put up anything close to Davis' numbers in the minors (at the same ages), particularly BA-wise (though really, Davis' numbers are well over Duncan's across the board).

I guess that's what prompted the question. I could see how a guy who hits .275ish with tons of K's and HRs might have trouble posting a decent BA in the big leagues, but Davis' career MiL BA is .317, and he's been .327 or better for the last four years (including this one). I mean...of course he's not seeing ML breaking stuff in AAA, but the disconnect between his MiL and ML numbers is just...so huge...

I don't get it. I appreciate the analysis, though. Maybe this is just one of those things I can't grasp without being in the business.

I think Davis is better than Duncan, but ultimately the flaws are the same. PCL also a better hitters league, though not 50 BA points better. Davis is a legit hitter, but he hasn't figured out how to lay off off-speed and how to not expand his zone against ML pitching. If he figures that out, this would be a steal. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

I think Davis is better than Duncan, but ultimately the flaws are the same. PCL also a better hitters league, though not 50 BA points better. Davis is a legit hitter, but he hasn't figured out how to lay off off-speed and how to not expand his zone against ML pitching. If he figures that out, this would be a steal. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Well, under the unparalleled tutelage of the Orioles' hitting staff, I'm sure Davis will hone his game and become an outstanding, late inning set-up man.

I bet if another reliever was traded for this package and people came on here saying that they wish the Orioles made this trade that many posters would think this is a mediocre haul.

Yep.

Not to mention they had to pay $2 million for it.

I bet if another reliever was traded for this package and people came on here saying that they wish the Orioles made this trade that many posters would think this is a mediocre haul.

And a bunch of others would be saying that it is just the type of trade the Orioles SHOULD make.

Its a fine haul.

Haha, well I know he'll allude to Hunter's lack of K's, as well as Davis's poor OBP/K #'s, but given we got this in return for a 36 year old oft-injured reliever, I don't see him hating on it. As others have said, it's low-risk, high-reward. I'd be shocked if Hunter didn't become a valuable starter for us though.

Hunters career high innings at all levels is 128. Il'l be shocked if he became a valuable starter for us. Spot starter I guess, but those arent too valuable.

I think it was a GREAT deal personally. Change of scenery should do Davis wonders, and I was a big fan of Hunter in the minors.

Exactly the type of trade to make if you are the Orioles. These are two potential pieces that may end up playing significant roles for the Orioles in the future. Any time you can trade a reliever (especially one whose value will struggle to get any higher) for promise and potential at two different positions - you jump on the trade. The players we are getting in return cannot be judged by their current stats... what matters from here on it is how they pan out in orange and black. Give Davis a chance to play - why not for goodness sake.

It's important this time of year to not trade for the sake of trading. It seems McPhail has waited it out and succeeded.

Now it is the hands of our coaches and player develoment folks. The track record has not been good so far with young players development. Let's hope the trend does not continue.

Archived