Zreibec: Orioles close to trading Koji to RANGERS

SilentJames

The deal is fine..but its not great. Upside is there at least.

I just really like it in the context that Koji was pretty terrible last year, he had a great year this year and got us two players that could hit or miss, but for a RP not in our long term plans, and off of payroll next year, I'm good with it.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I bet if another reliever was traded for this package and people came on here saying that they wish the Orioles made this trade that many posters would think this is a mediocre haul.

I remember posting that the O's needed to be less concerned with getting home runs in trades and more concerned with getting acceptable value. This trade is a solid double, and while we need more of them, it's. Good start.

I admit I haven't followed Davis closely since his big debut but his stats this year at AAA are absolutely ridiculous. I understand the PCL is a hitters league but he's hit 24 homers in 48 games with a 1.229 OPS. Hopefully he can figure out his problems against ML pitching.

I think it was a GREAT deal personally. Change of scenery should do Davis wonders, and I was a big fan of Hunter in the minors.

I'm going to pull up this post when we see Baltimore spend another $5-$7 million per year, over 2 years, in free agency on a relief arm. :)

I bet if another reliever was traded for this package and people came on here saying that they wish the Orioles made this trade that many posters would think this is a mediocre haul.

And if we turned it down and didn't move Koji - there'd be a ton of people *****ing that we should have taken the deal.

Though I would've preferred a young starter, like Erlin or Wieland, to have been part of the deal, I'm hopeful that at least one of the two we got back pan out and become solid/good players. Off the top of my head, I'd give this trade roughly a B-/C+. Hopefully we're not done.

Come on Trea - Koji is 36, has serious injury issues, and admittedly struggles in the heat. The fact that we got two guys who COULD be something is far from a bad trade.

As a reliever, it's pretty hard to say he has struggled in the heat. Check out how he's done this summer and last. His struggles in the heat as a starter are pretty irrelevant.

I'm going to pull up this post when we see Baltimore spend another $5-$7 million per year, over 2 years, in free agency on a relief arm. :)

We can only hope they have learned the lesson there. The fact that something like 7 of our top 15 draft choices were pitchers who projected to be "back of the rotation or relievers" by most experts leads me to believe that the light bulb may finally have gone on, and that we are going to try to continue to do what worked with David Hernandez and Berken, and from now on develop most of our bullpen from our system from the guys who can't cut it as starters due to not having enough pitches, durability, etc.

Hey, I can dream, can't I?

As a reliever, it's pretty hard to say he has struggled in the heat. Check out how he's done this summer and last. His struggles in the heat as a starter are pretty irrelevant.

Ok fine. He's still 36 and far from durable.

You're just bitter because yer boy's off the table.

I was a Davis fan a couple of years ago like when the Orioles were not contending. He would have been a perfect fit and the Orioles could have given him a full season to see what he had.

If he does terrible as a starter, I'd expect the Orioles to still land Fielder in the offseason if they want to win next season.

Davis could still be a solid player off the bench.

Hunter I think is the key component of the deal though. If he can be a decent #3-#4 starter, the O's can use that money to sign a player like Fielder instead of going after a mid-rotation arm.

Archived