Adam, Carl, and Jayson

Remember The Alomar

Wow they're having awful years.

Dunn: .165/.298/.604 OPS+ 66

Crawford: .245/.280/.654 OPS+76

Werth: .219/.326/.691 OPS+ 93

Now Weth's BABIP is 53 points below his career average and walking at a good clip. I know Crawford has been hurt as well which may have had some sort of effect. But what's Dunn's excuse? Dunn has the lowest WAR in baseball at -1.5. Adam Dunn is literally the worst player in the MLB this year.

I know all is not lost for these guys and I have a feeling both Werth and Crawford will bounce back next year. However, I really think Adam Dunn is finished. I know this season has been awful for the Orioles, but can you imagine how depressing it would be if we had actually signed Dunn? I know a lot of posters wanted him--myself included. SG really nailed it on this one.

This has been the knock on Dunn ever since he started approaching free agency. How likely is he to have the same early-thirties collapse as so many other similar players?

Ted Kluszewski was essentially done at 31. Boog Powell at 30. Dick Allen at 32 (or 34, since he had one more decent year). Gorman Thomas. Greg Luzinski. Mo Vaughn. Richie Sexson. The list goes on.

Is that Dunn, too? Or is it just a bad season.

I'm just rooting for Dunn to break Rob Deer's record for lowest batting average in the live-ball era (1920-present) among qualifiers. He's sitting at .165, and Deer's record is .178. Way back they had some weird qualification standards, and a bunch of guys are listed as qualified with like 300 PAs, but Dunn has a chance to be the first player in history to have 450 PAs and hit under .170.

Archived