Reynolds 2nd deck

Moose Milligan

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Small sample size and all, but I am starting to think Reynolds is the answer at first, and we go look for someone named Aramis Ramirez this offseason. I'd think we have a way better shot at him than Fielder.

That would move Davis and Reimold into a DH split as we look for a left field improvement (maybe we keep Luke, who knows?)

I wish I still had tape of that 1993 derby.

Juan Gonzalez hit several into the second deck. Like someone said earlier, he also hit one off the front of the Upper Deck that was simply unbelievable to watch. Naturally on the other side, Griffey responded by hitting the warehouse.

Back in those days, I'm pretty sure they weren't using special balls or bats for that thing. In fact, that was the first year they ever did more than one round and they only did it because Juan and Griffey were tied. The 1993 Derby was a huge turning point in the history of the event because it really started to gain popularity after that and every derby since then has included multiple rounds.

I wish I still had tape of that 1993 derby.

Juan Gonzalez hit several into the second deck. Like someone said earlier, he also hit one off the front of the Upper Deck that was simply unbelievable to watch. Naturally on the other side, Griffey responded by hitting the warehouse.

Back in those days, I'm pretty sure they weren't using special balls or bats for that thing. In fact, that was the first year they ever did more than one round and they only did it because Juan and Griffey were tied. The 1993 Derby was a huge turning point in the history of the event because it really started to gain popularity after that and every derby since then has included multiple rounds.

It strains credibility that 4-5 balls could be hit further, that day, than any other in the past 20 years of OPACY without special balls. Especially hitting BP fastballs, probably going 75-80 mph. I would consider that a feat comparable to Mike Powell and Carl Lewis jumping 29+ feet four times in one day when it had been done once before in all of history. I thought everyone just assumed they were using jacked up balls.

I was at the HR derby, in the club level on the third base side, and I swear the balls Gonzalez hit off the upper deck and into the club level were still rising when they ran into concrete/metal.

There's no doubt in my mind that even back then, the balls were juiced somehow.

Archived