Potential Free Agent 2B

SilentJames

You have to wonder how much better a $5-8 million dollar 2B is going to be over someone like Andino or Ryan Adams.

We're not going to be bringing in anyone really good. Let's just put that out there now. So we might as well go with one of our internal options if Roberts can't go or gets hurt again.

This. Robert Andino is hardly to blame for any of this team's problems this year.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'd love to see Ryan Adams get a prolonged shot at 2b for the last 6 weeks or so of this year. Let's find out if his defense can play at the MLB level and get some at bats under his belt.

That crop of FA's is very uninspiring. Johnson might be ok, Infante perhaps in a pinch, the rest are pretty bad. Why not find out what he have in Adams?

Bingo. We have lots and lots of holes..I'd pass on this group and go BlakeD or Adams to start the season..it's not like we're a player away. Let's see what, if anything, we have in the system and trade\FA for other spots where there's a better inventory.

I'd move anybody in the right deal, but to say Jones isn't good enough to build around is wrong IMO. Are you saying that we've seen his ceiling this year?
He is likely going to be a 78--820 OPS guy in most years..Some years better, some worse.

He is a good average hitter with poor plate discipline, so that really limits his OBP ceiling. He probably settles in as 55-60 XBH type guy, which will probably put him in the 450-500 slugging% area.

People like to compare him to Hunter, well this is essentially what Hunter is. His career OPS is 798. He has 4 seasons where his OPS was over 820. He has 3 seasons where his OPS was under 780 and this year looks like it may be the 4th. He has 5 seasons where his OPS fell in the 780-820 range.

That is pretty much what I expect Jones to be. I mean, everyone is so excited about Jones' development this year and his OPS is still only 818...Now, don't get me wrong, I am very happy with that number but its not like he has a 900ish OPS this year.

So, as I have said, the only way I can see Jones making a big leap in value is if his defense greatly improves and I am not sure I buy that happening.

Archived