Bonds Indicted on Perjury, Obstruction of Justice

Flip217

I think he obviously gets that, I believe his point is that he did admit to using steroids, so it's a bit much to go to jail for not admitting that he knew he was breaking a relatively unimportant law in our opinions.

A law is a law.

Is a law.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What is your opinion on Pete Rose and the HOF?

I think he should have a plaque in the Hall of Fame. The plaque should say something about him gambling, along with the hits records and everything else. And certainly the museum part of the Hall should make no secrets about what he did. But his accomplishments merit a plaque in the Hall.

Bonds should be treated similarly. I just feel like this was too widespread a problem in baseball to sanction those who used PEDs when it comes to the Hall of Fame. It is obviously of the utmost importance that baseball clean the problem up going forward, but I just don't think a Rose-style sanction would be productive. I have no doubt that, before all is said and done (and maybe it's already happened, for all we know), there will be Hall of Famers inducted who used PEDs during their career and got away with it. I've said before that I wouldn't be the slightest bit surprised if, at some point down the road, a Hall of Famer actually admits to having used steroids - maybe even in his induction speech. It is a black mark for baseball and the text of the plaques and the museum shouldn't ignore that fact, but I would still vote in the best players of this era, Bonds most certainly being among them.

He will definitely face jail time if he is convicted or pleads guilty. These are felony charges, and under federal sentencing guidelines there will be a minimum amount of time he has to spend in jail.

I saw 30 Years and a 1 Million dollar fine either on SC or on Mike and Mike.

I assume that it is the maximum sentence but regardless he is in crap so deep he needs a snorkle.

I saw 30 Years and a 1 Million dollar fine either on SC or on Mike and Mike.

I assume that it is the maximum sentence but regardless he is in crap so deep he needs a snorkle.

He'll never see 30 years -- maybe a year or two, but then again I'm no lawyer. Actually, if he goes to trial, I might not be too surprised to see a San Francisco jury let him off.

I swear I can remember another time a famous athlete had a mountain of evidence against him, but somehow the jury saw fit to find him not guilty...

Why didn't he just accept immunity when it was offered and cooperate? What a dope.

You are misinterpreting the reason for Anderson's release. He was in jail for civil contempt, until such time as he would agree to testify before the grand jury. But when an indictment is issued, the job of the grand jury is at an end. There is no longer a pending grand jury proceeding in which he can give tesitmony, and therefore the judge has no basis to keep him in jail.

Yeah, you're right. He'll be free until they ask him to be a witness. If he refuses I guess he goes back to jail.

He'll never see 30 years -- maybe a year or two, but then again I'm no lawyer. Actually, if he goes to trial, I might not be too surprised to see a San Francisco jury let him off.

I swear I can remember another time a famous athlete had a mountain of evidence against him, but somehow the jury saw fit to find him not guilty...

Why didn't he just accept immunity when it was offered and cooperate? What a dope.

I agree he will never serve 30 years. My guess would be 5 years. However if you think he has any chance of getting off your crazy:eek:.

I will say the same thing I said when Vick was indicted. When the Fed's get involved you are screwed, end of story, final answer. Vick talked a tough game until the Fed's got involved and then he folded faster than Superman on laundry day.

There is a reason that the Fed's took 4 years to indict. They only indict when they know they are going to win and they do win 95% of the time. With a case this big I can assure you that they are not going to indict unless they know they have already won.

Couldn't agree more as always mweb. I can't beleive that the Government has spent this much time on this "issue". I can't believe he may go to jail for this, but it could happen.

I agree with you, but more importantly, they spent over six million dollars* investigating Barry Bonds, his steroids, and whether he lied about them. SIX MILLION DOLLARS. That's not huge in government budget terms of course, but it could certainly provide some children with health insurance, build some affordable housing, provide adequate armor to a few soldiers...

*quoted from one of the hosts on WFAN

I agree with you, but more importantly, they spent over six million dollars* investigating Barry Bonds, his steroids, and whether he lied about them. SIX MILLION DOLLARS. That's not huge in government budget terms of course, but it could certainly provide some children with health insurance, build some affordable housing, provide adequate armor to a few soldiers...

*quoted from one of the hosts on WFAN

Amen Sister! Who cares..Why it's so important for them to nail Barry Bonds is so far beyond me I'll never understand the obsession. Yes he's a jerk, yes he took steroids, but SIX MILLION DOLLARS, seriously!!!

I will say the same thing I said when Vick was indicted. When the Fed's get involved you are screwed, end of story, final answer. Vick talked a tough game until the Fed's got involved and then he folded faster than Superman on laundry day.

I can't say I disagree too much, but the cases are really different, in my opinion. Even though Vick was really popular in Atlanta, he's not loved the way Bonds is in SF. And fighting and killing dogs for fun is a long way from (allegedly) (unknowingly) taking steroids.

My point -- if I have one -- was that it seems like Bonds and his lawyers are set on having a jury decide the outcome. I'm sure his ego has something to do with it, but I could also see him believing, or being advised, that he'll have a sympathetic jury.

I still think he'll do a little time. But, then, I also thought OJ was going away, too. :confused:

Amen Sister! Who cares..Why it's so important for them to nail Barry Bonds is so far beyond me I'll never understand the obsession. Yes he's a jerk, yes he took steroids, but SIX MILLION DOLLARS, seriously!!!

So when anyone that lies under oath during a trial or Grand Jury testimony the Feds should just forget about it or does that only pertain to the famous? If you or I would be the same predicament, do you think the Feds would just forget about it?

Why it's so important for them to nail Barry Bonds is so far beyond me I'll never understand the obsession.

Although Stephen A. Smith would argue the contrary, aren't they really going after BALCO? Bonds was called to testify to the Grand Jury about the BALCO case, and it's because he wouldn't cooperate with that investigation that he's now indicted, right?

So when anyone that lies under oath during a trial or Grand Jury testimony the Feds should just forget about it or does that only pertain to the famous? If you or I would be the same predicament, do you think the Feds would just forget about it?

Why a steroid case would demand this much attention by the government is my issue really.

I'm not saying what Bonds did wasn't wrong, of course it was. But the fact that the whole issue is so huge in society now has me a little baffled.

I can't say I disagree too much, but the cases are really different, in my opinion. Even though Vick was really popular in Atlanta, he's not loved the way Bonds is in SF. And fighting and killing dogs for fun is a long way from (allegedly) (unknowingly) taking steroids.

My point -- if I have one -- was that it seems like Bonds and his lawyers are set on having a jury decide the outcome. I'm sure his ego has something to do with it, but I could also see him believing, or being advised, that he'll have a sympathetic jury.

I still think he'll do a little time. But, then, I also thought OJ was going away, too. :confused:

I completely agree that the Vick case is a whole different case due to the public outcry and just the absolute cruelity involved. However, and it remains to be seen, I think the result will be the same. Vick's lawyers talked tough for a day or two when Vick was orginally charged too, but once the two sides set down and the evidence was presented they were singing a different tune.

Barry Bonds now has the entire weight and reach of the Justice Department bearing down on him and he really doesn't have a leg to stand on other than the unrealistic hope that he is so beloved in SF that he will be found not guilty. My guess is it will be resolved before Christmas and Barry will take a deal in exchange for information. And he will get a 3-5 years with some time suspended.

As for OJ its apples to oranges if OJ had been in prosecuted by the Fed's he would be sitting in a prison cell somewhere.

Archived