Biggest individual disappointment of the season?

Sports Guy

Biggest disappointment this year?  

176 members have voted

1. 1. Biggest disappointment this year?

• Matusz
    • Wieters' lack of power
    • Nick's lack of power
    • BRob's concussions
    • Tillman
    • DLee
    • Vlad
    • BP outside of JJ and Koji
    • LF production from Pie and Reimold
    • other..please name

This poll is closed to new votes

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Matusz. No one else is even that close for me. I thought he'd establish hiself as a legit #2 this year.

To me, its between Matusz and Wieters.

The lack of offense Wieters is producing is terrible. This team just needs him to be so much more.

But, he has at least been a contributor to the team and BMat really hasn't.

If I am looking at this for 2011(which is the point of the poll), then my answer is BMat. But if I am looking at this long term, then my answer is Wieters.

To me, its between Matusz and Wieters.

The lack of offense Wieters is producing is terrible. This team just needs him to be so much more.

But, he has at least been a contributor to the team and BMat really hasn't.

If I am looking at this for 2011(which is the point of the poll), then my answer is BMat. But if I am looking at this long term, then my answer is Wieters.

Wieters' OPS+ is 94 and he's a catcher. That's typical production. Maybe even better than the average catcher. No way in hell has Wieters been a disappointment.

I don't know how to answer this, honestly. I can't be disappointed in the pitching because I expected it to blow considering we did nothing in the off-season to compliment a small group of very young pitchers.

I can't go with Wieters because, while his numbers are below what I expected, hes been standout in every other aspect on this team, and has become a leader. Roberts...a lot of us expected he wouldn't be up to full speed even if he was healthy. Nick had a slump, but he hasn't been a huge disappointment to me.

I guess I have to go with Matusz because (although hurt) hes had enough time on the mound where he should be putting things together.

Wieters' OPS+ is 94 and he's a catcher. That's typical production. Maybe even better than the average catcher. No way in hell has Wieters been a disappointment.
Of course he has been. He was given a huge bonus and was supposed to be the center of the rebuild process.

Instead, he is Yadier Molina.

His offense is, unquestionably, a huge disappointment.

The magnitude of Matusz's disappearance has had the biggest impact on the suckitude of our season. Wieters has been as good as we can expect so far, and I think his bat is going to come around in 2012 in a big way. Not worried there. The rotation is what has my stomach in knots.

Of course he has been. He was given a huge bonus and was supposed to be the center of the rebuild process.

Instead, he is Yadier Molina.

His offense is, unquestionably, a huge disappointment.

Yadier has a ring and he plays for the best offense in the NL. Wieters is the best defensive catcher in the AL and has had typical production from the catcher position. I suppose he is a disappointment if you thought he was the next Brian McCann at the plate, but I never saw it. His Bat speed is too slow and his swing it too long.

For me it's Wieters. I though this would be his defining year, and I unfortunately still think that. This year tells me he is what he is.

I think Matusz bounces back next year as I see no reason to think he has "lost it". It's just a matter of injury and conditioning.

I expected this sort of production from Markakis.

I had expected much more from Reimold, Pie, the BP and Vlad but I'm not real surprised we didn't get it.

I thought BRob would decline, although I anticipated it to be from his back, not his bean.

Yadier has a ring and he plays for the best offense in the NL. Wieters is the best defensive catcher in the AL and has had typical production from the catcher position. I suppose he is a disappointment if you thought he was the next Brian McCann at the plate, but I never saw it. His Bat speed is too slow and his swing it too long.
Which is a disappointment.

This is a guy that was looked at as one of, if not the best offensive prospects coming out of college in 20 years.

His MiL stats were unheard of.

So yes, he is a disappointment offensively...no question about it.

And I don't even know what the idea of Molina having a ring and the Cards having a good offense has to do with anything.

I'm not surprised to be B Mat leading this by a large margin. I think, with what he showed down the stretch last season, we all expected him to build on that and give us a TOR sort of season. At worst, I would have said he might have an ERA around 4.25-4.50 as a truly worst case scenario. Instead, he gets injured, pitches terribly when he's healthy, and spends time at AAA. HUGE disappointment.

Wieters lack of offense is disappointing, but he's still contributing quite a bit with his work behind the plate. Obviously this team really needs his offense, but it's nice that regardless of what he does at the dish, he's going to help the team every game defensively.

I can't be "disappointed" in injuries. I mean they are injuries.

Therefore for me its Lee. Lee was supposed to be a nice upgrade at first and a solid option that at least would've gotten us a compensation pick next year.

Wieters power-drought is basically 1A for me, it is very disheartening, still one of the best/ better catchers in the AL though. Still, expected to be so much better.

Archived