Biggest individual disappointment of the season?

Sports Guy

Biggest disappointment this year?  

176 members have voted

1. 1. Biggest disappointment this year?

• Matusz
    • Wieters' lack of power
    • Nick's lack of power
    • BRob's concussions
    • Tillman
    • DLee
    • Vlad
    • BP outside of JJ and Koji
    • LF production from Pie and Reimold
    • other..please name

This poll is closed to new votes

Just a completely lost year for Matusz from the get go. Never ever got on track. New pitching coach, injury, minor league stint,etc. And he's shown flashes of his projected potential for an extended period of time before. Has Wieters ever had an extended period where he flashed signs of his projected potential. Matusz gets a mulligan from me for this year. If he struggling again next June then I really start to worry long term.

Save for the last month of so of his rookie year, Wieters has never had an extended period of time in which his potential shone through.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yea it did...it made me doubt he could be the superstar we thought he would be...But still would have expected him to be a better hitter than this.

Of course, I had my doubts in his rookie year. I said back then his bat looked slow and that his athleticism was poor.

Wieters bat has been a disapointment to me but I completely disagree that "his athleticism is poor". Watching the way he explodes out of his crouch and the way he blocks balls I would call him very "athletic".

The gap widens ever futher today.

I'm also not so sure why we should be so much more confident in Matusz going forward than Wieters.

Because he was hurt, came back in poor condition and lost confidence and velocity.

The velocity is back. He now needs to get the confidence back up, which I think he will do.

To me, he doesn't have that deer in the headlights look about him since he came back from the minors.

I think a good offseason, getting into good shape and being ready for ST will do wonders for him and he will be fine.

Just a completely lost year for Matusz from the get go. Never ever got on track. New pitching coach, injury, minor league stint,etc. And he's shown flashes of his projected potential for an extended period of time before. Has Wieters ever had an extended period where he flashed signs of his projected potential. Matusz gets a mulligan from me for this year. If he struggling again next June then I really start to worry long term.

Ok. Well I think Matusz has a better chance of becoming what we originally hoped for than Wieters in large part due to the level of expectations. However, going back to your earlier point regarding the adjusted expectations going into this year, I think we should be as confident in Wieters as Matusz.

Archived