Reds Legend Joe Nuxhall Passes Away

HeatherC12

• 4 years later...

I wasn't here when you started this thread.

I remember learning about Joe Nuxhall being the youngest major league player ever (15 years-old) when I read it on the back of some player's baseball card back in the 70's when I was a kid.

I wasn't here when you started this thread.

I remember learning about Joe Nuxhall being the youngest major league player ever (15 years-old) when I read it on the back of some player's baseball card back in the 70's when I was a kid.

He was the youngest player in MLB history, then he wasn't, then he was again. Seems a guy named Fred Chapman pitched one game in 1887, and through the fuzziness of 125 years he was confused with a guy named Frank Chapman, and for a time that led to the belief that he'd pitched at the age of 14. That got all sorted out a few years ago, so Nuxhall's title was restored.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• I am perfectly content to let all these "other teams" be losers for every bit as long as they think serves their best interests.  I'd also like to say I respect people and organizations who stand on principle, but in this case I really don't see the point.
    • I don't know what the point of adding him to the roster would be if they aren't willing to give the coaching staff at least a few days to tinker with him. 
    • This video makes a pretty strong case that Hernandez's reputation is largely undeserved.   
    • Just curious, are iou saying Bradish wasn’t showing any signs of fatigue?   Because if that’s your position, I disagree.  
    • I had a chance to go back and watch Veiira’s outing, which I missed earlier today.  I kind of like his fastball, 98-100 with some nice tailing action.  He didn’t command it well all the time but he did throw some nice ones and a few that just tailed a little too much armside but were close.  The slider, which he only threw 4 times, looked like a completely uncompetitive pitch.  He didn’t land one close to the strike zone and he didn’t tempt a single swing.   I wouldn’t mind seeing him one more time, if we can find some super-low leverage situation to put him in, before completely writing him off.  
    • The shoddy defense was on full display today.  In the big 4th inning, Cowser reached on an error, Stowers got a double on a somewhat lazy fly to deep LF that the outfielder got a terrible jump on, and then Mullins hit a ball into the gap that should have been a double but the outfielder kicked it into a triple.  Before that, the $50 mm CF Rafaela made an incredibly weak throw home that allowed Mateo to score easily on a 258-foot fly out.  Then later, he chose to coast back on a Cowser fly out with runners on 1st and 2nd, rather than hustling back and positioning himself to throw, allowing Mountcastle to tag up from 1B and reach 2B, and then score on Stowers’ ground single.  They are just not a fundamentally sound defensive team at all.
    • You didn't have to be around back then to know the history. They weren't really fake, but they were hardly ever to the death. They were slaves owned by companies that were hired to put on a show. They weren't cheap to buy and train. If you think it went down like the movie Gladiator, then you'd probably have been disappointed. If you are bloodthirsty and want to watch people get maimed and mangled, I'm sure there are some unsanctioned sports you can find in Eastern Europe to scratch that seemingly bizarre itch.
  • Popular Contributors