Mazzone admits Braves doctored balls?

Can_of_corn

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/09/21/so-those-great-90s-braves-teams-were-doctoring-baseballs-awesome/

Sure doesn't sound like he was just joking around.

Mazzone: “Well, you had pine tar, that’s for sure, because when you were in the postseason and it got called, one time Smoltzy had it on his shoes and I said, ‘John, you can’t keep bending over and touching your shoes all the time. Let’s put it someplace else!’ (laughs)”

"I know that in my little ball bag I had firm grip and all kinds of goodies to take care of a baseball to get a little more movement on it

Where's the outrage from people who care so much about cheating? Oh yeah, they just care about PED's. Oh no, actually they don't care about many PED's, even illegal ones, they just care about steroids.

Pretty astounding if true. They played that Mazzone sound clip on MLB Tonight yesterday with Smoltz on the set and he seemed dumbfounded. He categorically denied everything Mazzone said but what else could he say? I guess there's really no way of knowing unless someone decides to analyze old video footage.

Pretty astounding if true. They played that Mazzone sound clip on MLB Tonight yesterday with Smoltz on the set and he seemed dumbfounded. He categorically denied everything Mazzone said but what else could he say? I guess there's really no way of knowing unless someone decides to analyze old video footage.

He might come clean if he gets into the HoF. Right now its a story that could damage his chances once he is safely in it might just become an amusing anecdote.

Aside from whether or not the Braves doctored balls back in the 90s, what is up with Mazzone? You think he would realize an admission like that would make some waves. How could he keep that in for the last 15 years and just now start casually joking about it? Maybe he was just joking and didn't realize someone would take him seriously but that seems pretty naive.

I assume you feel the same way about steroids?

I mean, I don't really care. Nearly everyone was/is looking for some sort of edge. I am not a part of the witch hunt. For every Barry Bonds there are 4 Gary Cates Jrs who couldn't get passed single A ball.

Archived