Could the Angels be clearing a spot for Tejada

Sportfanatic4

I know I'm late to this thread, but over on the Angels' boards they're not even thinking about a Tejada trade. To them this was a move to add extra pitching because they expect Weaver & Wood to be in a package going to the Marlins for MCab. Aybar is who they assume will fill their SS slot next year.

Or they could move Figgins - which probably makes more sense than using Aybar - as supposedly their biggest offseason goal was to add offense.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The 2 situations aren't even remotely the same.

How so? At the time all I read on here was that once again the O's blew it by not trading Traschel for a bag of balls. AM waited three weeks and got a better package than anybody dreamed of for ST. By waiting the O's could once again strengthen thier barganing position.

So once again, please explain to me how the 2 situations aren't even remotely the same?

How so? At the time all I read on here was that once again the O's blew it by not trading Traschel for a bag of balls. AM waited three weeks and got a better package than anybody dreamed of for ST. By waiting the O's could once again strengthen thier barganing position.

So once again, please explain to me how the 2 situations aren't even remotely the same?

Because there is a lot more at stake here for the entire offseason with how things could possibly play out.

Because, in the offseason, there are many more options available to teams, whether it be through trades or FA signings.

Also because we only have so many teams after Miggy and if you allow those other teams to go another direction, you get stuck with him.

It's been noted on here at length that the O's have repeatedly shot themselves in the foot by taking too long to pull the trigger on deals. Proposals have sat and rotted on Angelos' desk before. Some teams reportedly won't even start talks with the O's because of this.

MacPhail did do right by getting Trax, there's no denying that..yet it remains to be seen what the Moore, Cherry and the minor leaguer we just got will contribute to the longterm goals of this franchise. Nonetheless, the thought process behind the move was definitely a good one.

However, the O's can't really strengthen their position by holding onto players that everyone knows they'll be getting rid of sooner or later. The market may dictate otherwise but the O's holding out has little to do with that.

It's like selling a house, the market dictates how much your house is worth, not the seller, contrary to their belief.

And to elaborate on what SG and Moose said. This could be our LAST chance to trade Tejada. There won't be a deadline deal for him. If there are three teams that need/want him now, and they look elsewhere then we have no place to trade him..its done.

Add to this that his numbers would probably be better if he played somewhere he was happy, and where the team won. Another season in Baltimore will just do more damage to any remaining trade value he has left.

Because there is a lot more at stake here for the entire offseason with how things could possibly play out.

Sure, there is more at stake but that doesn't mean the same process shouldn't be followed. There is more at stake because we are trading a better player.

Because, in the offseason, there are many more options available to teams, whether it be through trades or FA signings.

As of right now, with ARod and Lowell signed, Furcal moved, the best option, outside of MCab, for either SS or 3rd is Miguel Tejada. There are a lot more than one team looking for an upgrade at those two positions. That can only make him more valuable. Hell, after MCab gets moved, his value should only increase.

Also because we only have so many teams after Miggy and if you allow those other teams to go another direction, you get stuck with him.

Those teams are only after MCab. There is one direction for about 3 or 4 teams to go. When MCab is moved there will still be 2 or 3 teams who want Tejada and have no other options. We could really leverage that situation.

It's been noted on here at length that the O's have repeatedly shot themselves in the foot by taking too long to pull the trigger on deals. Proposals have sat and rotted on Angelos' desk before. Some teams reportedly won't even start talks with the O's because of this.

MacPhail did do right by getting Trax, there's no denying that..yet it remains to be seen what the Moore, Cherry and the minor leaguer we just got will contribute to the longterm goals of this franchise. Nonetheless, the thought process behind the move was definitely a good one.

However, the O's can't really strengthen their position by holding onto players that everyone knows they'll be getting rid of sooner or later. The market may dictate otherwise but the O's holding out has little to do with that.

It's like selling a house, the market dictates how much your house is worth, not the seller, contrary to their belief.

I've bolded the pertinent part of your post. Regardless of whether those guys pan out it was a good trade by the O's. IMO, the results really shouldn't be judged in a trade situation- only the process. It's unfair to expect a GM to see into the future, but if he makes good, informed decisions then that's all you can ask.

Those teams are only after MCab. There is one direction for about 3 or 4 teams to go. When MCab is moved there will still be 2 or 3 teams who want Tejada and have no other options. We could really leverage that situation.

Actually MCab is not goign to be traded this off-season. Nobody is willing to deplete their farm system and crop of young talent (ML with less than 5 years of service time) in a manner that will make FL happy. Now that might be different during the season when a team is damn near close to the playoffs, but its too much now.

While this might sound good for trading Tejada, these very same teams who have a hole at SS/3B are going to have to fill it somehow. And if we piddle**** around, they will fill it. And when it comes down to the deadline, that desperate team is going to go for the sure thing in MCab and not a Miguel Tejada with even more decreased production.

And to elaborate on what SG and Moose said. This could be our LAST chance to trade Tejada. There won't be a deadline deal for him. If there are three teams that need/want him now, and they look elsewhere then we have no place to trade him..its done.

Add to this that his numbers would probably be better if he played somewhere he was happy, and where the team won. Another season in Baltimore will just do more damage to any remaining trade value he has left.

There is no other place to look. There is MCab and Tejada. Not everybody can or will trade for MCab. When he is moved the O's will be in a real position of strength. Bear in mind, I'm not saying don't move him now if you get what you want but to act like the market is going to dry up for him before 12/1 is pretty laughable, regardless of what other teams do.

Actually MCab is not goign to be traded this off-season. Nobody is willing to deplete their farm system and crop of young talent (ML with less than 5 years of service time) in a manner that will make FL happy. Now that might be different during the season when a team is damn near close to the playoffs, but its too much now.

While this might sound good for trading Tejada, these very same teams who have a hole at SS/3B are going to have to fill it somehow. And if we piddle**** around, they will fill it. And when it comes down to the deadline, that desperate team is going to go for the sure thing in MCab and not a Miguel Tejada with even more decreased production.

With who? Ceasar Izturis? Melvin Mora? Tejada is the best SS/3B on the market outside of MCab. That isn't going to change. It's WAY too early to be accusing the O's of sitting on thier hands this offseason.

With who? Ceasar Izturis? Melvin Mora? Tejada is the best SS/3B on the market outside of MCab. That isn't going to change. It's WAY too early to be accusing the O's of sitting on thier hands this offseason.

Im not accusing the Os of doing that now, but if gets into January, then I will. And I have yet to see anyone accuse the FO of mistepping yet. All we have said is stuff like "If this deal is true, then AM has to pull the trigger" and so on and so forth.

I've bolded the pertinent part of your post. Regardless of whether those guys pan out it was a good trade by the O's. IMO, the results really shouldn't be judged in a trade situation- only the process. It's unfair to expect a GM to see into the future, but if he makes good, informed decisions then that's all you can ask.

I see where you're coming from but in the end the results are the ones that matter. Why do you keep hearing about Jeff Bagwell for Danny Darwin 17 years later?

It's not unfair to expect a GM to see into the future because the deals are made for exactly that- the future. Hence the good, informed decisions...which is why there are better GM's out there that will run circles around the jokers we've had over the past decade.

In theory, it was a good trade. But "in theory" doesn't win you ballgames.

Archived