TT: The Orioles must have an impact offseason

Tony-OH

I really don't see the appeal of a pitch-to-contact guy that can't strike anyone out like Buehrle. He'd be fine as a 4th or 5th starter, but if he's our #2 pitcher on opening day our offseason has been a huge failure in my opinion. I'd much rather have Bedard, even with the injury concerns.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I won't argue that Swisher is a jerk. But criticizing someone because he doesn't hit well in the postseason is silly when you're talking about a team that hasn't been to the postseason-- or even had a winning season-- in 14 years. That's like saying, "I don't want to sign this free agent. He hasn't gotten a single hit in December in his whole career!"

Just reaching the playoffs would be a miracle for the Orioles, and if Swisher can help them get there, he'd be worth his weight in gold.

I forgot. Swisher is also fat and slow. A lot fatter and slower than Nolan Reimold. And he made $10 Million this past season. A fat, slow guy that is God-awful when it counts the most (postseason) over Reimold, who will make $400, 000 - $500,000 next season. I don't think so. Swisher would help the Orioles "reach the postseason" as much as Miguel Tejada did when we reaquired him at the start of last season ......... he wouldn't.

I forgot. Swisher is also fat and slow. A lot fatter and slower than Nolan Reimold. And he made $10 Million this past season. A fat, slow guy that is God-awful when it counts the most (postseason) over Reimold, who will make $400, 000 - $500,000 next season. I don't think so. Swisher would help the Orioles "reach the postseason" as much as Miguel Tejada did when we reaquired him at the start of last season......... he wouldn't.
Still, I have to think that career .360 OBP and .826 OPS would be a valuable addition to the Orioles' lineup. Assuming he doesn't start to drop off the table. I'm not saying he's anything great, but Swisher's a better hitter than you're making him out to be.

I really don't see the appeal of a pitch-to-contact guy that can't strike anyone out like Buehrle. He'd be fine as a 4th or 5th starter, but if he's our #2 pitcher on opening day our offseason has been a huge failure in my opinion. I'd much rather have Bedard, even with the injury concerns.

Beurle is underrated because he's a terrible fantasy player. In real life though, his ability to get outs, his durability, and his longevity of being pretty consistent overcome his lack of strikeouts. I take a flyer on Bedard but he wil gt no where near the money Buerle will get and rightfully so. Buerle is probably not coming here, especially if MacPhail remains because it's not his M.O to sign guys like this.

Still, I have to think that career .360 OBP and .826 OPS would be a valuable addition to the Orioles' lineup. Assuming he doesn't start to drop off the table. I'm not saying he's anything great, but Swisher's a better hitter than you're making him out to be.

I'll concede that he is a modestly better a hitter than I am making him out to be, and the joy of me reveling in his postseason futility clouds my judgement a little ..... a little, but not much. I watch the guy play every day up here. Perhaps if he were a good fielder and had good (or at least decent) speed, it would strengthen his case, but he doesn't.

I forgot. Swisher is also fat and slow. A lot fatter and slower than Nolan Reimold. And he made $10 Million this past season. A fat, slow guy that is God-awful when it counts the most (postseason) over Reimold, who will make $400, 000 - $500,000 next season. I don't think so. Swisher would help the Orioles "reach the postseason" as much as Miguel Tejada did when we reaquired him at the start of last season ......... he wouldn't.

Umm, you need to do the comparison on the bat. Not sure why you hate Swisher, but he's the player Remold would hope to become. Reimold's career .256/.339/.440/.779 is definitely below Swisher's .254 /.360/.466/.826 and although Reimold is faster, Swisher is a better defensive outfielder. Reimold's 162 game average of 22 home runs and 28 Doubles is certainly below Swisher's 28 home runs and 33 doubles. Besides, we're not talking about him taking Reimold's at bat, we're talking about him taking Vlad's at bats. You can't argue that he would not be better than Vlad in the lineup.

Umm, you need to do the comparison on the bat. Not sure why you hate Swisher, but he's the player Remold would hope to become. Reimold's career .256/.339/.440/.779 is definitely below Swisher's .254 /.360/.466/.826 and although Reimold is faster, Swisher is a better defensive outfielder. Reimold's 162 game average of 22 home runs and 28 Doubles is certainly below Swisher's 28 home runs and 33 doubles. Besides, we're not talking about him taking Reimold's at bat, we're talking about him taking Vlad's at bats. You can't argue that he would not be better than Vlad in the lineup.

Swisher is a bad fielder, and the lineup would not be better with him in it. Perhaps slightly a little better, perhaps the same, perhaps slightly a little worse, but there is nothing about his play on the field that would suggest that he would significantly improve this team if he were chasing down fly balls in our outfield, and hitting for some pretty good (but not overwhelming) power. Acquiring Nick Swisher and paying him between $5 and $10 Million per year would be very Oriole-esque behavior on our part ....... which means not wise.

I'm actually somewhat content with the offense. Sure we could use a Fielder or Pujols or whatever, but it's not like the offense is what held us back last year. I'd rather see us save the money and make a real splash and get some real arms in here. Buehrle is a good example of a buy-low candidate who won't command a lot of money on the FA market. Problem is he's getting older and I could see some contenders making similar offers to bring him in there to put them over the top.

Pitching pitching pitching. I'd love to get CJ Wilson. That would show that the team is serious about contending.

Swisher is a bad fielder, and the lineup would not be better with him in it. Perhaps slightly a little better, perhaps the same, perhaps slightly a little worse, but there is nothing about his play on the field that would suggest that he would significantly improve this team if he were chasing down fly balls in our outfield, and hitting for some pretty good (but not overwhelming) power. Acquiring Nick Swisher and paying him between $5 and $10 Million per year would be very Oriole-esque behavior on our part ....... which means not wise.
According to the FB Swisher has been a plus RF up until this year. His numbers are still better than Markakis' and have been the past 5 seasons.

According to the FB Swisher has been a plus RF up until this year. His numbers are still better than Markakis' and have been the past 5 seasons.

Nick Swisher is a better fielder than Markakis, huh ? Markakis has been a perennial contender for a Gold Glove Award for his defensive play, including his excellent arm. Nick Swisher hasn't gotten a sniff of a Gold Glove Award. Markakis is easily a better fielder than Swisher.

I agree 100% that upgrading our rotation should be our top priority this offseason. However, the FA market is markedly thin and the little that is available will be chased by all the big dogs. We will need to trade if we are to seriously upgrade, and AM is our best instrument in getting this successfully accomplished.

I agree 100% that upgrading our rotation should be our top priority this offseason. However, the FA market is markedly thin and the little that is available will be chased by all the big dogs. We will need to trade if we are to seriously upgrade, and AM is our best instrument in getting this successfully accomplished.

I think that's pretty accurate. It's possible that we may have snared a #4 or # 5 rotation guy with Tommy Hunter, which would help to modestly stabilize our 2012 rotation from what was a very shaky and inconsistent SP rotation in 2011. If we could somehow acquire a # 2 or even a # 3 starting pitcher this off-season, that would be great. A lot is hinging on whether Arrieta and (especially) Matusz can come back from injuries and/or bad pitching in 2012.

Swisher is an average fielder at best, and he's a jerk overall. And 1-for-31 with RISP in the postseason is hardly a small sample size, particularly when you combine that with the fact that his career postseason batting average is .169 in 147 plate appearances over 9 postseasons with 3 teams.

That's still a tiny sample. It's about as meaningful as Prince Fielder's 146 PAs with runners on third in his career, with a .208 batting average and a .368 slugging.

Nick Swisher is a better fielder than Markakis, huh ? Markakis has been a perennial contender for a Gold Glove Award for his defensive play, including his excellent arm. Nick Swisher hasn't gotten a sniff of a Gold Glove Award. Markakis is easily a better fielder than Swisher.

That's dangerously close to arguing Nick is a better fielder than Swisher because you say Nick is a better fielder than Swisher.

Not only that, but Swisher also has the benefit of having played something close to a full season in the major leagues.

Archived