Angelos interview in PressBox

FellsPointOsFan

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well just like a few others on this board I kind of liked what I read (yeah go vomit again, Sapper ;) ). I think it was a good interview and, I, like someone else stated, think that Angelos came over as an very knowledgeable and caring owner.

Of course about the supposed increase in payroll- I believe it when I see it.

Except he said that $13 million per for a top-flight pitcher is reasonable' date=' but $16 million is INSANE! If he's going into the FA market with that attitude, he surely won't be able to land the guys that would push the payroll up that high.[/quote']

Arguably the best pitcher in ML base is J. Santana. He gets less than $5mil. a year. The best position player is arguably A. Pujols. He gets $11mil. per.

So why isn't it absurd that a pitcher should be worth $15mil and a position player be worth $13 mil.? Why should I pay Zito $15 mil. per or Soriano $15 mil. per when I can upgrade the team at 1B, LF, and bullpen for less than $30 mil?

The Red Sox are making out like a bandit in all aspects of income. Tickets, concessions, parking, etc. The fan index as has been posted before between the 2 ballclub is like night and day...

Fan Index

Boston = $287.84

Baltimore = $158.62

Parking

Boston = $23.00

Baltimore = $8.00

Beer

Boston = $6.00 (12 oz)

Baltimore = $4.25 (18 oz)

Soda

Boston = $2.75 (14 oz)

Baltimore = $2.00 (16 oz)

Hot Dog

Boston = $4.00

Baltimore = $2.50

I've posted this before, but those figures for Camden Yards are not accurate. Last time I bought a beer, it cost me $6.25. Sodas are $2.75 (IIRC) for a regular, and more for a souvenir cup ($3.75? $4.25? something like that). Hot dogs are $4.50.

If the O's concession numbers are so far out of whack, Boston's could be too. Who really knows what the actual numbers are for the Fan Index? ;)

My next (and final) game is on the 22nd. I'll double-check all of this stuff. And maybe send the true figures to the folks who calculate the Fan Index figures.

Witchy

I have a question....Is PA referring to Hangouters here?

http://www.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38514

"Getting back to your question, I don't have any problem with that. I think the focus on that is disturbing. Because, to me, the Oriole team is Baltimore and it's Maryland. Could we say it? Sure, we could say that and maybe we'll do that. But sometimes it's advocated by the same people who are constantly condemning the club and practically telling people: "Don't go watch the games." So it gets to be a personal aspect"

http://orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38259

I have a question....Is PA referring to Hangouters here?

http://www.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38514

"Getting back to your question, I don't have any problem with that. I think the focus on that is disturbing. Because, to me, the Oriole team is Baltimore and it's Maryland. Could we say it? Sure, we could say that and maybe we'll do that. But sometimes it's advocated by the same people who are constantly condemning the club and practically telling people: "Don't go watch the games." So it gets to be a personal aspect"

I think he is talking about Nasty there really. Big Pete could give a crap about waht you, me or SG say on a website. But Nasty is the only person in the media that has called people "fools" for going to an Orioles game.

What a STUPID post. I need to go wash my brain out after reading that. Excuse me while I vomit.

You know... you can disagree without being a jerk.

What is it about today? I rarely sanction anybody for anything, but this is the third post I've had to play hall monitor on today.

Think before you post, ok?!? And read the rules! Especially this one:

5. Posts containing slanderous or otherwise disrespectful messages will be removed. This includes name calling of other posters, Orioles players, coaches, front office personnel, or Hangout staff.

Arguably the best pitcher in ML base is J. Santana. He gets less than $5mil. a year. The best position player is arguably A. Pujols. He gets $11mil. per.

So why isn't it absurd that a pitcher should be worth $15mil and a position player be worth $13 mil.? Why should I pay Zito $15 mil. per or Soriano $15 mil. per when I can upgrade the team at 1B, LF, and bullpen for less than $30 mil?

Yes, Santana's contract is a bargain. But you really can't use that as a baseline. Guys like Paul Byrd are getting far bigger deals than $5 million per on the FA market. By saying that $13 million per is his absolute limit for a pitcher, and that even $14 million is crazy, he is probably taking himself out of the discussion for Zito and maybe Schmidt, as well. For the record, I agree with you that shoring up the power positions of LF and 1B should be higher priorities.

Yes' date=' Santana's contract is a bargain. But you really can't use that as a baseline. Guys like Paul Byrd are getting far bigger deals than $5 million per on the FA market. By saying that $13 million per is his absolute limit for a pitcher, and that even $14 million is crazy, he is probably taking himself out of the discussion for Zito and maybe Schmidt, as well. For the record, I agree with you that shoring up the power positions of LF and 1B should be higher priorities.[/quote']

Consider for a moment all the 5 year or longer contracts for pitchers in the neighborhood of $14m or above... Couldn't a very convincing argument be made that doing that is crazy?

Well just like a few others on this board I kind of liked what I read (yeah go vomit again, Sapper ;) ). I think it was a good interview and, I, like someone else stated, think that Angelos came over as an very knowledgeable and caring owner.

Of course about the supposed increase in payroll- I believe it when I see it.

For people that liked what the heard from Angelos:

Did you read the part in which he basically blamed us, the fans of Baltimore, for his inability to compete with Yankees and Red Sox? How can anyone be happy about what was said?

"They are so far ahead of us, I can't do it in my head without writing on paper, but I would simplify it by saying in order for us to match what they take in [during a game] where they have a sell-out at 35,000 at $45 dollars [a ticket], we would have to have a ballpark that would hold 70,000 and sell that park out.

They are doing this day in and day out. And they are selling out and have a rabid fan base. [The] strongest baseball fans are, I think, the Boston fans. And they went 80 years and didn't win a damned thing but they were supported and they are fortunate to have that kind of fan base. Our problem has been [an inability] to generate the kind of revenue that is needed to compete in the AL East. "

How does this not anger everyone on this board? If Oriole fans are not outraged by this than the apathy is far worse than I ever believed.

His evasive langauge about putting 'Baltimore' on the road jerseys is obnoxious.

He attributes a lot of Oakland and Minnesota's success to good luck and the Orioles failures to bad luck and poor decisions from the front office. Guess what Pete, you put those people into place and interfere with their decision making - it is YOUR FAULT. Placing any blame on "bad luck" is so ridiculous I don't even know what to say.

Does Angelos mention length of contract? If he does' date=' I missed it.[/quote']

I believe he did mention the lunacy of $14m a year for 5 years that is Oswalt's contract.

My prediction:

Zito is going to get 5 years and Schmidt won't reach $14m per. If I'm right I expect Zito won't be considered and if he isn't that would be the right move.

For people that liked what the heard from Angelos:

Did you read the part in which he basically blamed us, the fans of Baltimore, for his inability to compete with Yankees and Red Sox? How can anyone be happy about what was said?

"They are so far ahead of us, I can't do it in my head without writing on paper, but I would simplify it by saying in order for us to match what they take in [during a game] where they have a sell-out at 35,000 at $45 dollars [a ticket], we would have to have a ballpark that would hold 70,000 and sell that park out.

They are doing this day in and day out. And they are selling out and have a rabid fan base. [The] strongest baseball fans are, I think, the Boston fans. And they went 80 years and didn't win a damned thing but they were supported and they are fortunate to have that kind of fan base. Our problem has been [an inability] to generate the kind of revenue that is needed to compete in the AL East. "

How does this not anger everyone on this board? If Oriole fans are not outraged by this than the apathy is far worse than I ever believed.

His evasive langauge about putting 'Baltimore' on the road jerseys is obnoxious.

He attributes a lot of Oakland and Minnesota's success to good luck and the Orioles failures to bad luck and poor decisions from the front office. Guess what Pete, you put those people into place and interfere with their decision making - it is YOUR FAULT. Placing any blame on "bad luck" is so ridiculous I don't even know what to say.

From 1950 to 2000 the O's won more games than any other team in base ball including 3 WS. Boston won one in the last 52. So where is the insult to O's fans? We have been a better team until recently, but Boston has drawn more $ in attendance despite an inferior record.

From 1950 to 2000 the O's won more games than any other team in base ball including 3 WS. Boston won one in the last 52. So where is the insult to O's fans? We have been a better team until recently, but Boston has drawn more $ in attendance despite an inferior record.

You should go back and read the posts from before this - it has been argued at length why this is ridiculous.

Also, it is not true that the O's have won more games than any team in baseball between 1950 and 2000.

Archived