Worst trade ever

RShack

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Houston gives the O's Mike Cuellar for Curt Blefary.

Then, years later in a different era, the O's give Houston Pete Harnisch, Curt Schilling, and Steve Finley, and all they get is Glenn Davis.

Both of those gotta be in the Top 10 somewhere...

How about Amos Rusie for Christy Matthewson?

Man, youtube has everything. Here's a little bit of Mr. Mathewson throwing! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mASnW4YVXU

Not only terrible results-wise, but the last gasp of syndicate baseball too.

Syndicate baseball is a perfect example of why owners shouldn't run everything. It's a big part of why the O's weren't in the big leagues for 50+ years. (Although, it did help lead to the creation of the American League.) All in all, it was a mildly clever idea, but a 100% rotten one too.

I didn't realize the same guy owned the Reds and had stock in the Giants... until just now when I googled about it. I did know that the very same guy screwed the old NL O's... but the Mathewson thing is news to me. Thanks for the tidbit.

However, given that he was *trying* to do that, it wasn't really a bad trade in the way that we think about "bad". It accomplished exactly what he wanted it to do. It wasn't "bad" in the sense of "dumb", but it was in the sense of "evil".

Man, youtube has everything. Here's a little bit of Mr. Mathewson throwing! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mASnW4YVXU

Syndicate baseball is a perfect example of why owners shouldn't run everything. It's a big part of why the O's weren't in the big leagues for 50+ years. (Although, it did help lead to the creation of the American League.) All in all, it was a mildly clever idea, but a 100% rotten one too.

I didn't realize the same guy owned the Reds and had stock in the Giants... until just now when I googled about it. I did know that the very same guy screwed the old NL O's... but the Mathewson thing is news to me. Thanks for the tidbit.

However, given that he was *trying* to do that, it wasn't really a bad trade in the way that we think about "bad". It accomplished exactly what he wanted it to do. It wasn't "bad" in the sense of "dumb", but it was in the sense of "evil".

Well, it was bad for Cincinnati :P

Archived