Are you considering voting with your feet?

Frobby

Except to Yankees and Red Sox fans LOL

Two things that I like about Red Sox and Yank fans coming to OPACY.

A. They boost our overall attendance.

B. Almost all of them pay top dollar to sit in the seats that they purchase, instead of simply buying the upper reserve tickets and sitting in the box seats in the field level and/or the box seats in the middle and upper levels.

That said, I still hate the sight of the many of them that come there.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't think that selling those tickets make up for what you spent for the season tickets. I went to a couple Yankees/Red Sox games last year and it was not nearly as packed as it has been in the past.
Everyone on stubhub is selling full season tickets? I do see a lot of Red Sox and Yankees fans sitting close to the field, and they didn't get those tickets for cheap.
Two things that I like about Red Sox and Yank fans coming to OPACY.

A. They boost our overall attendance.

B. Almost all of them pay top dollar to sit in the seats that they buy, instead of simply buying the upper reserve tickets and sitting in the box seats in the field level and/or the box seats in the middle and upper levels.

That said, I still hate the sight of so many of them come there.

A majority of the fans who have come to the Camden Yards have supported the opposing team. Angelos said he has noticed the trend, but is not as bothered by as some of his Orioles contemporaries.

"We don't mind that," he said. "The fans who come to support their team bring their children with them. They are not a bunch of rowdies. Many bring their entire family to the ballpark, and I think that's a compliment to the game of baseball. They patronize the merchants and the local business. And soon we'll get the fans back, because we'll make the necessary moves and acquisitions to compete favorably."

Meh, I just can't. I will need something to do in the summer and as much as I am disgusted by them at the moment I will still be there.

I don't know if I will re-up my tickets this year, but that is because I am paying for a wedding and therefore am pretty flat-ass broke. This hurts, it sucks, it doesn't matter who is at fault because even if the Orioles did everything right and LaCava is just a little nutty the narrative has already been written and nothing will change it. And 14 years of ineptitude will write that narrative in granite.

How are you "minimizing ticket revenue" when the ticket has already been sold at least once?

Not to jump in the middle of this, but I'm with Frobby here.

Frobby's method only works if you assume that there are a mass of tickets that have been purchased and go unused. It's like adopting a dog instead of buying from the pet store. You're not adding to the pet population when you adopt.

Again, how does this matter? If the stubhub guy couldn't have resold his ticket there, he might not have bought it at all.

I already conceded the point that maybe the Stubhub guy doesn't buy his original ticket if there isn't a secondary market. See post #23. But it's just undeniable that, once Stubhub guy has bought his tickets, buying a ticket from Stubhub guy vs. buying a ticket from Angelos costs Angelos one sale.

Everyone on stubhub is selling full season tickets? I do see a lot of Red Sox and Yankees fans sitting close to the field, and they didn't get those tickets for cheap.

Yeah, I get a perverse pleasure out of seeing the $70 price on their tickets (yes, I peek when we're all waiting in line, and they have their tickets out), while I pay $10 for non-prime games, and $15 for prime games.

Correct. But if I buy from Stubhub guy, Angelos has still made only one sale, that he was going to make whether I bought Stubhub guy't ticket or not. But if I buy a ticket from Angelos, now he has made two sales -- one to Stubhub guy (who is stuck with his ticket since I won't buy it), and one to me. So buying from Stubhub guy instead of Peter reduces Peter's sales.
Going to the game puts money in Pete's vault (see below). I get your point but tell us what message has Angelos already responded to by the current attendance figures? Will dropping to 1.6m instead of 1.7 get him to change his ways? Really?

Your second point is right on the mark because a lot of revenue is generated by beer and concession sales at the park. More people in the park means more revenue. However, I don't buy anything at the park, so crisis averted. ;)

To think at 82 years old Angelos is going to change his ways, regardless or horrible ticket sales or interest in general, is lunacy. I mean this guy is fighting to keep people in positions that have contributed to a run of 14 straight losing seasons. I have no idea how good Stockstill or others are at their jobs but you think the GM you are hiring would. I'm done buying MLBtv or going to games, unless my Grandfather gives me free tickets when I'm in Baltimore. It's more about a personal choice not to financially support the team than it is "sending a message". We won't be free until Peter passes away.

Going to the game puts money in Pete's vault (see below)

Fair enough point there. A full seat generates more money than an empty seat, even if the seat is paid for. I usually buy a half-smoke, soda and peanuts at the stands near Pickles when I'm not using my season tickets, so I don't buy much once I'm inside. When I use my season tickets, I have a parking pass to Lot A right by the home plate entrance where there are no vendors, so in that case I'm much more likely to buy my food inside. So, giving up my season ticket package should take some concession money out of the Orioles' pockets, even if I buy an equivalent number of Stubhubs.

Of course, since I am part of a group that shares season tickets, if I give up my share and someone else takes my games (which the group will have to find someone to do to keep the group tickets), then I've cost Peter nothing by giving them up.

Which scenario gets PA more money

-you buy 2 tickets, your date bails and you go by yourself, you buy a sausage

-you buy 1 ticket, no ticket goes unused, you buy a sausage

-you buy 2 tickets, your date bails and you go by yourself, you buy a sausage, and a lot more beers than you would have if the date didn't bail :D

Fair enough point there. A full seat generates more money than an empty seat, even if the seat is paid for. I usually buy a half-smoke, soda and peanuts at the stands near Pickles when I'm not using my season tickets, so I don't buy much once I'm inside. When I use my season tickets, I have a parking pass to Lot A right by the home plate entrance where there are no vendors, so in that case I'm much more likely to buy my food inside. So, giving up my season ticket package should take some concession money out of the Orioles' pockets, even if I buy an equivalent number of Stubhubs.

Of course, since I am part of a group that shares season tickets, if I give up my share and someone else takes my games (which the group will have to find someone to do to keep the group tickets), then I've cost Peter nothing by giving them up.

I tip my hat to you. You make more lemonade out of the lemons, which is how you earned your fame. If you go away from here for a few days, people send out search parties.

I do not suffer fools gladly.

Attendance has circled the toilet and Angelos hasn't made real, substantive changes to do anything about it. I do not believe that there is anything we individually, or as a collective OH, could do to get the attention of the warehouse, and have a positive effect.

Regarding Stubhub... I use to work for them, so I know how their operations work. They actually have a deal in place with MLB, so every time they resell baseball tickets the teams actually get a portion of the resale as well. So... buying from Stubhub allows for the team to make money twice off the same ticket.

Archived