Terps vs UVA

There's a lot more talent on the team than you give credit for. Kevin Dorsey and Kerry Boykins are good receivers, and once upon a time, so was Ronnie Tyler. Davin Meggett was a good running back. DJ Adams is a great short yardage back. None of that is working anymore. Crowton's playcalling was a disaster today. I'm not as down on him as some people are, but he was terrible today. Whatever the game plan was, it stunk.

Defensively, the d-tackles are strong, but the defensive ends are certainly not. The linebackers are up and down with youth. The defensive secondary is not that strong. I'm not sure what games you've watched, but Eric Franklin is a really bad safety, and Dexter McDougle is lobbying hard for anti-bullying laws because he gets picked on every single game. Titus Till has a real promising future, and Cameron Chism is good, but nothing spectacular.

Bradford is a bad defensive coordinator. The special teams coach is laughably bad at his job. Another punt was partially blocked today because he's completely inept. The coaching staff is simply terrible. This is a huge step backward, and why a few fans were chanting "Friedgen" during the game. MAJOR changes need to be made to the coaching staff since you can't fire the ringleader of incompetence.

They've lost five straight. Either this team overachieved like crazy last year, or they're regressing because of bad coaching.

Where is the talent on this team?

I'll start with O'Brien, who for whatever reason struggled early season (I don't believe he suddenly forgot how to throw a football on target or became color-blind between last December and September). He looked like the DOB of last year in the 1st half today. Then he's suddenly benched, put back in in the 2nd half, benched after an INT, then put back in late in the game and expected to lead a comeback. WTF?

The RB combo of Meggett and DJ Adams should have given them a pretty good ground game. Meggett has been so-so, but has handled the load mostly by himself because DJ Adams has been banished to the hinterlands for whatever reason. Justus Pickett runs with no purpose or authority whatsoever, but he still appears to be a coach's favorite so he does get some time as a backup.

The WR corps was solid, despite the personnel losses from last season. Edsall himself indicated so before the season. So why all of a sudden can't these guys catch? What seems to have affected their concentration? Is it all their own doing?

Defensively, I wish we had 10 more Joe Vellanos. We did have a very good player in Kenny Tate, who was moved out of position and didn't make many plays before being lost for the season. David Mackall wasn't as good as Tate, but still a promising pass-rusher from the LB spot who was also moved to another position, couldn't hold the job and is also out for the season.

Just curious....did you see this as a 2-win team going into the season? Your posts indicate that this is pretty much what you expected.

There's a lot more talent on the team than you give credit for. Kevin Dorsey and Kerry Boykins are good receivers, and once upon a time, so was Ronnie Tyler. Davin Meggett was a good running back. DJ Adams is a great short yardage back. None of that is working anymore. Crowton's playcalling was a disaster today. I'm not as down on him as some people are, but he was terrible today. Whatever the game plan was, it stunk.

Defensively, the d-tackles are strong, but the defensive ends are certainly not. The linebackers are up and down with youth. The defensive secondary is not that strong. I'm not sure what games you've watched, but Eric Franklin is a really bad safety, and Dexter McDougle is lobbying hard for anti-bullying laws because he gets picked on every single game. Titus Till has a real promising future, and Cameron Chism is good, but nothing spectacular.

Bradford is a bad defensive coordinator. The special teams coach is laughably bad at his job. Another punt was partially blocked today because he's completely inept. The coaching staff is simply terrible. This is a huge step backward, and why a few fans were chanting "Friedgen" during the game. MAJOR changes need to be made to the coaching staff since you can't fire the ringleader of incompetence.

They've lost five straight. Either this team overachieved like crazy last year, or they're regressing because of bad coaching.

Absolutely. This team is not this bad. Bottom line, is this team is not playing up to their potential and that has to ultimately fall on the coaching. I'm not one to bail. I said as lately as 3 or 4 weeks ago that Edsall deserves time but it's clear to me already this isn't going to work. This tenure is going to be an epic failure and I'll put everything I have on that.

Just curious....did you see this as a 2-win team going into the season? Your posts indicate that this is pretty much what you expected.

I do not think I made any formal predictions, but I think I would have predicted around a .500 record. But I would have made that prediction under the assumption that Danny O'Brien would have been at least as good, if not better, than last year.

And for whatever reason, he hasn't been. We can go in circles about whether it is him or the coaching/system, but the fact is that even when he's made proper reads and had good time, his timing and accuracy have been way off.

I also would have made that prediction under the assumption that our best defensive player by far would not be injured for most of the season, even though I disagreed from the start with the position change.

I too would love to know the story behind DJ Adams, especially considering the struggles we've had in the red zone. Clearly there is some disciplinary action going on there, and as much as people want to make fun of him for it, I think Edsall has handled most of those situations correctly thus far.

I do not know why our receivers suddenly can't catch, but I put zero of that on the coaching staff. I think a lot of that has become a mental thing that has snowballed.

Bottom line, before the season I would have called it an average team. Well, it's been an average team that has had a lot of things go wrong, both in terms of injuries and performance.

]There's a lot more talent on the team than you give credit for[/b]. Kevin Dorsey and Kerry Boykins are good receivers' date=' and once upon a time, so was Ronnie Tyler. Davin Meggett was a good running back. DJ Adams is a great short yardage back. None of that is working anymore. Crowton's playcalling was a disaster today. I'm not as down on him as some people are, but he was terrible today. Whatever the game plan was, it stunk.

They've lost five straight. Either this team overachieved like crazy last year, or they're regressing because of bad coaching.[/quote']

I wonder what the record would be if Friedge were the coach this year. Who knows but I doubt theyd be 2-7.

I wonder what the record would be if Friedge were the coach this year. Who knows but I doubt theyd be 2-7.

It's hard to imagine a Friedgen team winning only 2 games. Oh wait, no it isn't, that happened just 2 years ago.

I haven't been impressed with Edsall so far, but let's not pretend that Ralph didn't have some bad years. In fact, his worst was just 2 years ago with some of the same guys on this current team.

Yes, but those guys were freshmen and sophomores then, or they were redshirting. Now they're upperclassmen. And I'll still say the failures of this coaching staff have less to do with wins and losses than they do with getting destroyed by teams less talented than them, ie; Temple and BC. Towson outplayed them. Virginia came in and blew things open in the second half. Clemson rallied in the second half. This coaching staff not only isn't good, but finds a way to make sure no adjustments are made at the half and teams can come back. Heck, even Miami did most of its scoring in the second half, I believe. That's just bad coaching.

I can say with certainty that Ralph would have more than 2 wins with this same roster.

I am sorry but, no, you can't.

Maybe that is your opinion, but it's in no way a "certainty".

Now, I do think Ralph would have maybe won another game or 2. But, these are players recruited by him for his system and philosophies.

Also, if Ralph stays maybe Don Brown stays, and we do not have Todd Bradford as DC.

I am sorry but, no, you can't.

Maybe that is your opinion, but it's in no way a "certainty".

Now, I do think Ralph would have maybe won another game or 2. But, these are players recruited by him for his system and philosophies.

Also, if Ralph stays maybe Don Brown stays, and we do not have Todd Bradford as DC.

It's a lock. And yes some of it has to do with the reasons you mentioned. But it's so funny because Ralph got some criticism for coming in the first few years and winning with Vandy's recruits. I love how that stuff is always turned one way or the other to fit an agenda.

It's a lock. And yes some of it has to do with the reasons you mentioned. But it's so funny because Ralph got some criticism for coming in the first few years and winning with Vandy's recruits. I love how that stuff is always turned one way or the other to fit an agenda.

No agenda here.

I've repeatedly given Ralph high praise for winning those first few years with Vanderlinden's players. I think he did a great job identifying talent on the team and putting that talent in places where it could succeed (see Bruce Perry).

When it comes down to X's and O's and pure coaching, I think Ralph's a good coach.

But, I don't think he left nearly as talented a team as he inherited.

Archived