Yoennis Cespedes?

sloppyjoe

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think my original question took a left turn. I wasn't trying to dither over whether I'd spend $30 million to sign him (I probably would...BUT I think that price tag would drive the O's out of the bidding), but I was asking whether people felt his actual contract would approach that figure. Jim makes a good point in re: how little he'd have to accomplish to make $6 million a year worthwhile.

I think my original question took a left turn. I wasn't trying to dither over whether I'd spend $30 million to sign him (I probably would...BUT I think that price tag would drive the O's out of the bidding), but I was asking whether people felt his actual contract would approach that figure. Jim makes a good point in re: how little he'd have to accomplish to make $6 million a year worthwhile.

Yeah - you're probably aware of how leery I am of contracts and how suspicious I am of translating performance from one (talent) context to another (talent) context, but the contract is so little, and he has a number of ways to earn the money. It really mitigates the risk in my mind.

I don't think we go in, but it's an instance where I would.*

*Provided my scouts do their due diligence and come back with positive words.

Yeah - you're probably aware of how leery I am of contracts and how suspicious I am of translating performance from one (talent) context to another (talent) context, but the contract is so little, and he has a number of ways to earn the money. It really mitigates the risk in my mind.

I don't think we go in, but it's an instance where I would.*

*Provided my scouts do their due diligence and come back with positive words.

Yeah I agree. If we were talking about $10/year I don't think I'd be interested, but for $6 or less, yeah I take that risk.

This is the type of talent the O's tend to shy away from citing risk/reward hesitations. Hopefully, DD brings some new perspective here. There is also the PA angle and his fondness for Castro which I think will be the biggest reason we stay on the sidelines.

Let me preface this by saying, I think one of the biggest things the O's need to do is develop a prescence on the international side of talent development/accquisition. I've been saying it for years and I'll continue to say it.

However, the idea that they are stupid/or not doing their due dilligence by throwing 30 million at this guy, or any of them for that matter, is silly. Plain silly.

MOST of these big ticket international FA's don't work out. Most of them. Look at Dice-K; look at the Cuban SS the Red Sox got two years ago; look at Chapman; look at Iona (or whatever his name is) in Oak.

AM was very correct when he said that surfing the top end of the international FA market is not nearly as cost effecient as the Rule 5 draft. It's really not even that disputable.

I mean, we have posters saying they'll throw 30 mil at this guy but they want to see a little more video first. That's hysterical. The guy is a great athlete; great- that has very little bearing on his ability to play ML baseball. Lebron James might be the best athlete in the world- do you think he can hit a curveball, or take a walk? You know damn well he can't.

They need to get more active in the international market- without a doubt. But spread the money around- get quantity and from that quantity you'll get some quality. I'd rather have the Schoops, the Tejadas, the Vlads, than the Chapmans, the Ionas, the

Dice-Ks.

This team needs talent, and they need to be effecient in how they accquire it. Throwing big money at every international FA flavor of the week is not the way to go about it.

Let me preface this by saying, I think one of the biggest things the O's need to do is develop a prescence on the international side of talent development/accquisition. I've been saying it for years and I'll continue to say it.

However, the idea that they are stupid/or not doing their due dilligence by throwing 30 million at this guy, or any of them for that matter, is silly. Plain silly.

MOST of these big ticket international FA's don't work out. Most of them. Look at Dice-K; look at the Cuban SS the Red Sox got two years ago; look at Chapman; look at Iona (or whatever his name is) in Oak.

AM was very correct when he said that surfing the top end of the international FA market is not nearly as cost effecient as the Rule 5 draft. It's really not even that disputable.

I mean, we have posters saying they'll throw 30 mil at this guy but they want to see a little more video first. That's hysterical. The guy is a great athlete; great- that has very little bearing on his ability to play ML baseball. Lebron James might be the best athlete in the world- do you think he can hit a curveball, or take a walk? You know damn well he can't.

They need to get more active in the international market- without a doubt. But spread the money around- get quantity and from that quantity you'll get some quality. I'd rather have the Schoops, the Tejadas, the Vlads, than the Chapmans, the Ionas, the

Dice-Ks.

This team needs talent, and they need to be effecient in how they accquire it. Throwing big money at every international FA flavor of the week is not the way to go about it.

This guy has been around for awhile he is not a flavor of the week imo. He is not a 19 year old shortstop out of the D.R. He is 26 and from a refined Cuban team, that has one of the best teams in Latin America.

As opposed to never throwing any money at all? This team needs YOUNG talent. Inefficiency is throwing away money on Gregg, Vlad, Gonzo, Lee and Atkins. There's a darn good reason Cespedes is the "flavor of the month." He's young, athletic and can play baseball a little bit. Sure, O's stay far away... :angryfire:

Archived