So who is the no. 1 prospect, Bundy or Machado?

Frobby

Who is the number 1 prospect?  

142 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the number 1 prospect?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think that is fair enough. Neither Machado nor Schoop really did anything amazing with the bat at Frederick this year, so it's really their young ages plus what the scouts are saying that drive their high rankings.

I bet if you gave all 30 SD's a choice between Bundy or Machado, they would be closely divided. We're lucky, we don't have to choose which one to take, because we have both. All we're doing is opining in a poll.

Thanks. I was gonna comment on the Frederick stats but it seemed somewhat unfair to the players to even comment on them.

I took Bundy partly b/c of our inability to develop hitters.
And I took Machado partly because of our inability to develop pitchers.
I chose Bryce Harper because being an Orioles fan is a losing proposition.

I chose Cal Ripken, Jr. because he has the greatest chance of ending up with multiple MVPs in an Orioles uniform while playing shortstop every day for 15+ years.

Machado is closer to the bigs and for that reason he will probably get the nod, but if I had to pick one for a new team I was starting it would be Bundy.

Is he?

I know that's not the point of your post and I don't disagree with you, but let's think about it. Machado is only 4 months older than Bundy. Bundy has essentially no physical projection. Machado has a good amount of growth and adjustment left.

I understand that Machado made it to A+ in his debut season, but he's likely to start there next year and it wouldn't shock me to see Dylan catch him at Bowie by the end of the year. There are so many hypotheticals here, but the reality is that Machado is going to fill out a lot over the next two years and will need to learn to use his strength at the plate and compensate in the field. I see a more nuanced development path for him than I do for Dylan Bundy, who essentially just has to get used to pitching on 4 days rest over a long pro season against consistent line-ups. But other than some polish on the secondaries and the ever-needed improvement of command, Bundy is very close to what he's going to be right out of the gates.

Frobby. First, to repeat. This is what I have been told. Second, Strasburg, who already has had surgery has had many people openly predict he would have arm trouble because of his motion and

torque. Also, Bundy was one of the most impressive HS pitchers ever and Strasburg(and I am a fan of his) was not the complete pitching package until his college years.

Im not saying Bundy wont fall short of anyone's expectations, only that many many baseball people told me he could be a complete beast within a couple of years..and could make the ML roster

inside two seasons.

Thanks, Roy. I think if you originally had written, "one of the best high school pitching prospects to come along in at least a decade," I wouldn't have taken issue with you. Of course, I am old enough to remember David Clyde and Brien Taylor, so I tend to be a bit guarded about high school pitchers.

As to having Bundy up here in two years, I'm dubious there, too. It takes three years just to build a pitcher's innings up to the point where he can start 32-33 times. But, it has certainly been done before.

How does Bundy compare to say JameO Taillon coming out of highschool?

Very similarly I believe. Taillon had a bit more physical projection and maybe a bit less current stuff, but otherwise there's lots of comparisons to be made. I believe Stotle used "Taillon minus the physicality" as a comp for Bundy.

A comparison I'd be interested to see would be Bundy vs. Rick Porcello.

How does Bundy compare to say JameO Taillon coming out of highschool?

It was a comparison that got a lot of e-ink around draft time.

Similar "now" stuff at time of draft, but obviously Taillon has 6 inches on Bundy and thus much more physical projection. Jame-o was that rare HS pitcher who combined filthy stuff with a frame you could dream on, so most evaluators gave him an edge.

To be fair to Bundy, however, his body control and mechanics were and are much more stable than those of Taillon, so the command edge likely goes to Bundy.

It was a comparison that got a lot of e-ink around draft time.

Similar "now" stuff at time of draft, but obviously Taillon has 6 inches on Bundy and thus much more physical projection. Jame-o was that rare HS pitcher who combined filthy stuff with a frame you could dream on, so most evaluators gave him an edge.

To be fair to Bundy, however, his body control and mechanics were and are much more stable than those of Taillon, so the command edge likely goes to Bundy.

I guess the question is, if you're already sitting in the mid-to-upper 90s with power breaking stuff, just how much "stuff" are you going to add? There's not much history of anyone pitching (safely, with longevity) above that, right?

Is he?

I know that's not the point of your post and I don't disagree with you, but let's think about it. Machado is only 4 months older than Bundy. Bundy has essentially no physical projection. Machado has a good amount of growth and adjustment left.

I understand that Machado made it to A+ in his debut season, but he's likely to start there next year and it wouldn't shock me to see Dylan catch him at Bowie by the end of the year. There are so many hypotheticals here, but the reality is that Machado is going to fill out a lot over the next two years and will need to learn to use his strength at the plate and compensate in the field. I see a more nuanced development path for him than I do for Dylan Bundy, who essentially just has to get used to pitching on 4 days rest over a long pro season against consistent line-ups. But other than some polish on the secondaries and the ever-needed improvement of command, Bundy is very close to what he's going to be right out of the gates.

I get what you're saying about projection, age, and development path, but considering Bundy's last pitch was to a High School hitter, I feel reasonably safe in assuming Machado is closer. That quite likely may change, but until Bundy gets some professional experience I'll temper my expectations.

Archived