So who is the no. 1 prospect, Bundy or Machado?

Frobby

Who is the number 1 prospect?  

142 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the number 1 prospect?

This poll is closed to new votes

Strasburg was drafted #1 out of college, as a senior, not HS. When he was a HS senior, where was he drafted? Oh, he wasn't even drafted out of high school. Comparing Strasburg as a college senior who went undrafted out of high school to Dylan Bundy who was drafted as a HS senior #4 in a deep pitching draft seems to be comparing apples to oranges.

Strasburg may be better, but it's not because he went 1 and Bundy went 4.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I guess the question is, if you're already sitting in the mid-to-upper 90s with power breaking stuff, just how much "stuff" are you going to add? There's not much history of anyone pitching (safely, with longevity) above that, right?

I don't think Bundy really needs any projection, which is why I felt secure selecting a short, right-handed high school pitcher at 1:4. His now stuff is that good.

However, I think you have to assume that Bundy will have to dial back and live 93-95 in MLB, whereas if everything goes right with Taillon he could comfortably live 96-98. If Taillon can get his body under control, he'll also create better angles with downward action.

The question I have is whether this is the best Top 3 the Orioles have had in the last 15 years. I would be hard pressed to come up with a better three. Weiters, Matusz and Tillman would be the other group to consider. I just wish there was more depth beyond them becuase then we really would have real hope for the next few years.

Strasburg was drafted #1 out of college, as a senior, not HS. When he was a HS senior, where was he drafted? Oh, he wasn't even drafted out of high school. Comparing Strasburg as a college senior who went undrafted out of high school to Dylan Bundy who was drafted as a HS senior #4 in a deep pitching draft seems to be comparing apples to oranges.

Strasburg may be better, but it's not because he went 1 and Bundy went 4.

Small nitpick: Strasburg was a college junior. Beyond that, I am not saying Strasburg was the better prospect just because he went no. 1 and Bundy went 4. Again, (1) Strasburg was pretty much unanimously declared to be one of the top prospects of all time, (2) he received a contract that was roughly douible what any previous prospect had ever received, (3) he proved it wasn't just hype by what he did the year after he was drafted, (4) three other pitchers were drafted ahead of Bundy, and none of those college pitchers were considered to be Strasburg's equal at the time.

I'm not saying Bundy won't turn out to be as good as Strasburg, or better. You never know for sure. But in terms of what most scouts thought on the day they were drafted, it's Strasburg by a mile.

In any event, who really cares? Ben McDonald was once considered the most highly regarded pitching prospect of all time. Mike Mussina was drafted the next year, pretty deep into the first round. Enough said.

I don't think Bundy really needs any projection, which is why I felt secure selecting a short, right-handed high school pitcher at 1:4. His now stuff is that good.

However, I think you have to assume that Bundy will have to dial back and live 93-95 in MLB, whereas if everything goes right with Taillon he could comfortably live 96-98. If Taillon can get his body under control, he'll also create better angles with downward action.

Good stuff. Thanks. Would you sacrifice Taillon's upside for Bundy's repeatable delivery?

Good stuff. Thanks. Would you sacrifice Taillon's upside for Bundy's repeatable delivery?

I would. But I'm a command guy. Give me Mike Mussina and his 93-95 mph fastball with impeccable command, and I will live without 96-98 mph.

I would. But I'm a command guy. Give me Mike Mussina and his 93-95 mph fastball with impeccable command, and I will live without 96-98 mph.
Same here...I value command more than anything else.

Plus, Bundy strikes me as a guy that, for a young pitcher, is perhaps less likely to occur a major injury than most.

Not to say he won't or can't but with his conditioning, work ethic and good mechanics, I like his chances of surviving the "injury years" more than most.

There was an interesting article posted earlier this year about the pitcher variance in the distance to home plate before the ball is released. If you can reduce that 60 ft. 6 inches, it reduces the batter's time to react, which should have a similar effect to increased velocity. I'd imagine that Taillon's height would also help in that regard.

On the other hand, command is extremely important, and something that's been seemingly missing from too many of our prospects over the years.

Archived